How did you learn photography?

7 years 6 months ago #500337 by Raymond Z
I just made another post about NYIP. 

How many of you are self taught?

How many of you are formally taught?

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #500342 by Shadowfixer1
Self taught here in shooting and processing. I have never taken a course in either one.
7 years 6 months ago #500479 by bojojo
Studied art history in school, started concentrating on modern art and the history of photography later on in my academic career

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #500491 by Ian Stone
self taught

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #500540 by Stic
Picked it up as I went along, photography wise.

PP on the other hand, I began with Photoshop 5 and was self taught in that but I was (much) later trained in the Adobe design suite CS3 (photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) when working in prepress at local paper...

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #500543 by effron
Self taught, the ancient school of hard knocks and dirty socks....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #500569 by Screamin Scott
Mostly self taught although I did take some corresspondence classes wit the "School of Modern Photograhy" back in the early 70's... Never did finish them though. Really learned more by doing than that course.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #500576 by Overread
Self taught for me.  My father was a photographer and taught myself and siblings early about photography.  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #500590 by srubio77
A little bit of both. Started out self taught, but began taking classes and workshops once my interest became more than just a hobby.

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #500604 by Chris Briggs
Put me down as another self taught photographer.  Books, websites, and YouTube was my friend.  

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #500638 by PhotoViking
Did I ever learn it?
What little I know I taught myself: trial and error.
and still learning.... :S

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #500648 by Hassner
I studied interior design with photography as a subject half day a week in the film and darkroom days.
I was employed as photographer when I upgraded to film scanner and Photoshop. Had three days with a tutor. The rest was exchange with other photographers and friend Google.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #500656 by tristanshutterfreak
You never stop learning. That's for sure!

My first learning experience was in a summer camp at South Lancaster, Mass.

They took us on a field trip to Boston... And learned the basics of the darkroom.

One of the best experiences, ever. For a 10 y/o was amazing. 

7 years 6 months ago #500709 by Hoss
My brother in law taught me and self taught 

Photo Comments
7 years 6 months ago #500716 by pegonperez
My very early experience with photography was in my hometown in Colombia. I remember Mr. Arturo. Using Daguerre's invention to capture time. It was 1942 and I was 6yo. 

I learned to use my camera in the late 60's. All experiments. A lot of money spent on the film. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024