Back to shooting.

7 years 5 months ago #502180 by Hoss
I'll bite, what gear are you using and any post processing tips?  These shots are have the right touch!  

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502181 by Hoss

Scotty wrote:

KENT MELTON wrote:

Scotty wrote:

If there is one thing I remember from your work, is that your shots always have a surreal sharpness to them.  These leafs here seem to come out of the photo as if you can touch them.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments.  I really appreciate them.  I have a weird sharpening technique that i'm proud of.  My gf used my d800 while we were shooting there, I shot the D3s all day.  It's amazing if you know how to tweak these files that you can get almost medium format quality out of a 12 mp FF cam.

Crap... disregard the part of my question on your gear.  I missed your remark here.  However feel free to answer the part about post.  :) 

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502184 by Scotty

Hoss wrote: I'll bite, what gear are you using and any post processing tips?  These shots are have the right touch!  

The way I post process is weird and doesn't make sense.  I do a lot of dodge/burning, a weird combination of different sharpening methods...balance them out and it gives it a weird 3d effect(a lot of contrast sharpening), do a lot in ACR, and exposure blend.

I believe every one of these shots were with a Nikon d3s with a Nikon 24-70 f/2.8G lens with a Hoya 8 stop ND filter on it. I didn't put my polarizer on there because I was lazy.  

Trying to figure out a way to post another image but it's being stubborn.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502188 by Scotty

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhotoViking
7 years 5 months ago #502189 by Scotty
Done for the night. The above shot is a screen shot. It appears photos that are in portrait instead of landscape are having issues loading in right.  I'll fix that last pic I posted and one I haven't posted yet tommorow.  If you have any questions, ask away! 

Enjoy!

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502201 by effron
I hope you got real dirty....:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502206 by Roy Wilson
Bravo buddy, these were worth the wait!

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502215 by effron
That place is added to my long list!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502229 by ShutterPal
Well done Scotty, these are fantastic.  Now how accessible is this location?

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502257 by Scotty

ShutterPal wrote: Well done Scotty, these are fantastic.  Now how accessible is this location?

Both locations are very accessible.

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502260 by CaptNemo

Scotty wrote:

Well done!

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502276 by Neillien
Awesome! I know it can be difficult to get back into things after a long break, but it seems like you're adjusting well! Can't wait to see what else you have to share.

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502283 by icepics
Anything 'Cuyahoga' has got to be Cleveland! Last time I went there was to The Flats which was years ago.

For me there's a little too much sharpening and processing, although it might be partly due to where these are hosted/posted. I particularly like the one shot from a low vantage point with leaves and moss covered rocks to the left, that's well composed and balanced. The one looking down the steps/walkway I'd like better without the tree smack dab in the middle of the falls and not quite so much space in the frame to the left, but it looks like there may not have been much room to change the vantage point.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502304 by Scotty

icepics wrote: Anything 'Cuyahoga' has got to be Cleveland! Last time I went there was to The Flats which was years ago.

For me there's a little too much sharpening and processing, although it might be partly due to where these are hosted/posted. I particularly like the one shot from a low vantage point with leaves and moss covered rocks to the left, that's well composed and balanced. The one looking down the steps/walkway I'd like better without the tree smack dab in the middle of the falls and not quite so much space in the frame to the left, but it looks like there may not have been much room to change the vantage point.

lol you know, I tend to edit the crap out of my shots.  I'm having issues with zenfolio currently, the oversharpness might be showing up for you because of that...curiois what res monitor you're on?

As always I appreciate the feedback.  I do like the low profile shot the best as well.  Glad to see you're still posting.

Cheers!

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502313 by Kenya See
OMG I remember you.  Didn't you have the photo of some rusty gears?  I loved that shot.  These are so full of so much detail.  Care to share some post processing tips?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024