Camera that shoots both digital and film?

7 years 5 months ago #502684 by Francis
I saw this post on someones Facebook page today asking the same question.  So I can't take credit for this one.  However can you imagine a camera that shot both film and digital?!  

Interesting idea.  Would you buy it?

I think I would assuming the camera wasn't the size of a lunch pail from back in the day!  

I think that would be cool to shoot film when you want, and then switch a button and shoot digital.   

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502690 by effron
There was anticipation once about digital backs, that would attach to a film camera but the technology never took off. Probably another wild rumor. There is a lot going on in these modern picture takin' machines, I like them as is myself, and have no intention of ever shooting film again....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502703 by Francis
Interesting didn't know that.  Might be time to consult with Google.  Really?  Not me, I'd shoot film again if there was such a camera.  

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502717 by Joves
They only exist in Medium Format. I know Hassys', amd Mamiya if I remember right both have digital, and film backs available for some models. But as for smaller formats you are SOL.

Attachments:
7 years 5 months ago #502727 by EOS Man
Full frame and didn't increase in size much?  Sure, I'd be interested.  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502751 by Vahrenkamp
Eh, I don't want both in the same camera.  When I want to shoot film, I'll grab my film camera.  Otherwise digital.  

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502763 by effron

Vahrenkamp wrote: Eh, I don't want both in the same camera.  When I want to shoot film, I'll grab my film camera.  Otherwise digital.  

Yup. Most manufacturers won't touch the idea now, not enough interest in film for such an undertaking. I have lots of old filmers in great shape if I get the urge...and I won't!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502871 by Francis
Mix signals I see!  Yeah I'm on the fence. 

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502889 by Chris Yates
I would be very curious to see how the digital shots would look in comparison to the film negatives...might put a rest to the debate over which is better.

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502938 by Gene.Culley
Not for me.  I would rather keep digital, digital.  If I want to shot film, then I'll grab a film camera.  Seems potentially unneeded weight and size.  

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502965 by Roy Wilson
:agree: 

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #502979 by effron
Yeah, it seems most interested in film never had to sit hours on end in dark, damp, smelly labs producing developed film and prints. I now have my nights back and won't ever go back...

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #502983 by Shadowfixer1
There was a prototype some people were working on that had a sensor and the electronics were located in the film spool area and the take up spool area. You would just open the back of the camera and drop it in like some old 126 cartridges. Seems like it was only 0.8 megapixels from what I remember. Real digital cameras came along and crushed that idea.
7 years 5 months ago #502986 by Neillien
The concept's honestly never crossed my mind. Don't know if it would pan out to be anything more than a passing fad, but still a pretty neat idea.

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #503018 by Flash Steven
Sure if size was the same as digital now

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024