How are smart phones able to take good photos with small lenses?

7 years 5 months ago #504967 by Ryan O
Sorry if this has been covered, I did a search and didn't find the exact answer I was after.  How can a lens so small create photos so nice.  Now I understand there is no comparison to DSLR, but still they are very good.  

Could this be an indication that smaller lenses could be coming for larger cameras?  

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #504998 by John Landolfi
I think that the main reason for the size difference in slr vs rangefinder camera lenses is the presence of a mirror in slrs, which prevents the lens from getting as close to the film/sensor plane as required for a particular angle of coverage, given the maximum aperture one wants. Rangefinder lenses, on the other hand, have no problem putting their rear element as close to the sensor plane as required for a true WA lens. Slr WA lenses are actually reverse teles, which require many more elements to correct distortion, and so have to be much longer and heavier than corresponding rangefinder WAs. They also need to have greater light gathering power, and so, for a given aperture, the lens diameter is much larger.

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #505038 by Sawyer
The manufactures design the camera and sensor around the size of lens they are working with.  So they take great photos, but if you want to blow them up to any decent size, that's where things start getting soft.  

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #505076 by Joves
:rofl:
Define good.
If you mean good for the size they are meant to be displayed at then it is simple. The lens elements are ground to enable them to produce an adequate image on the plane. It is the simple principles of light physics.
And no this does not mean that lenses for larger cameras will get smaller. They require a certain size, and configuration to produce an acceptable image on the plane.

7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #505097 by Screamin Scott
I doubt it unless said smaller lenses were slow (not F2.8 or faster ) Yes, they are very good when viewed online but when printed or enlarged, the IQ drops off. Plus the small sensor makes it very difficult to isolate your subject by blurring out the background as a "fast" aperture would...

Ryan O wrote: Sorry if this has been covered, I did a search and didn't find the exact answer I was after.  How can a lens so small create photos so nice.  Now I understand there is no comparison to DSLR, but still they are very good.  

Could this be an indication that smaller lenses could be coming for larger cameras?  

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #505191 by srubio77
Wouldn't count on smaller lenses any time soon. The science behind a SLR camera lens is very precise and well tuned – they're the size that they are for a reason.

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #505201 by John Landolfi
Read above for a possible explanation.:)

Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #505214 by effron

John Landolfi wrote: I think that the main reason for the size difference in slr vs rangefinder camera lenses is the presence of a mirror in slrs, which prevents the lens from getting as close to the film/sensor plane as required for a particular angle of coverage, given the maximum aperture one wants. Rangefinder lenses, on the other hand, have no problem putting their rear element as close to the sensor plane as required for a true WA lens. Slr WA lenses are actually reverse teles, which require many more elements to correct distortion, and so have to be much longer and heavier than corresponding rangefinder WAs. They also need to have greater light gathering power, and so, for a given aperture, the lens diameter is much larger.

:goodpost:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 5 months ago #505585 by Gene.Culley

John Landolfi wrote: I think that the main reason for the size difference in slr vs rangefinder camera lenses is the presence of a mirror in slrs, which prevents the lens from getting as close to the film/sensor plane as required for a particular angle of coverage, given the maximum aperture one wants. Rangefinder lenses, on the other hand, have no problem putting their rear element as close to the sensor plane as required for a true WA lens. Slr WA lenses are actually reverse teles, which require many more elements to correct distortion, and so have to be much longer and heavier than corresponding rangefinder WAs. They also need to have greater light gathering power, and so, for a given aperture, the lens diameter is much larger.

:agree:   they are only getting better.   

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024