Landscape JPG colors

3 years 5 months ago #510328 by KCook
I recently rented a Fujifilm X-E2s for a try out.  Which included taking landscape shots under more or less controlled conditions to compare the JPG color with my Canon and Olympus cameras.  Blog post is now up -

JPG Landscape Color: Canon – Fujifilm – Olympus 

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 5 months ago #510375 by Patrick G
Am I reading this correct?  The middle is the Olympus correct?  If so, that one had the richest colors.  

Photo Comments

3 years 5 months ago #510380 by KCook
Yup, correct. And I had the Oly set to Natural, which is the weakest color setting it has! Both the Canon and the Fuji can go weaker yet. As I wrote in the post, these settings were aimed at getting the colors natural, not too much pop.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 5 months ago #510381 by Patrick G
Weaker from the others would have created some flat images.  How do the images look when blown up 100%?

Did you test ISO at all with these?

Photo Comments

3 years 5 months ago #510385 by effron
Interesting post!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

3 years 5 months ago #510388 by KCook
Of course they are "more flat". But that is my preference over too gaudy.

At 100% the Canon JPG is slightly muddy (as if underexposed). While the Fuji JPG has more sparkle. This may be due to the Fuji X-trans sensor lacking an AA filter.

I did not do any ISO tests. These were shot with the ISO on Auto to give an idea of what the AE for each camera is like.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 5 months ago #510421 by Robert Chen
I'm guessing you aren't going to buy a Fuji any time soon

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments

3 years 5 months ago #510425 by srubio77
The colors from the Olympus look so vibrant, but I think I prefer the range and tones that come from the Canon. But maybe I'm biased, since I generally shoot with Canon.

Photo Comments

3 years 5 months ago #510426 by KCook

Robert Chen wrote: I'm guessing you aren't going to buy a Fuji any time soon

Right.  My purpose in renting the Fuji was to see if it works better for my landscapes than my M4/3 outfit.  The difference is not great, but in general I do prefer the Fuji output.  Now I need to spend a little time comparing lens costs to see if a switch to Fuji is feasible.

slow Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 5 months ago #510485 by Don Granger
I think the results speak loud.  I'd stick with the Olympus IMO.  

Photo Comments

3 years 5 months ago #510547 by Kenya See
Would be interesting to see how these all fair against each other in a portrait session  ;) 

Photo Comments

3 years 5 months ago #510549 by KCook

Kenya See wrote: Would be interesting to see how these all fair against each other in a portrait session  ;) 

So would I !  Alas, I don't have access to any free models.

solonely

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 5 months ago #510552 by Scotty
Not to play devils advocate here, but why would you ever shoot Landscape in JPEG?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

3 years 5 months ago #510553 by Stealthy Ninja
Fuji will destroy Olympus in all areas (with their modern cameras) except weight I suppose.

With the newer 24MP sensors (Xpro2 and XT2) Lightroom will give excellent colours (using RAW and selecting the correct colour profiles).  So there is absolutely no reason to shoot jpegs.

Also now Iridient X Transformer is coming (see here for more information:  www.aevansphoto.com/iridient-x-transformer-coming-soon/ ).  With that program you'll get excellent Iridient sharpening and Great fuji colours using lightroom.  

3 years 5 months ago #510555 by Stealthy Ninja

Kenya See wrote: Would be interesting to see how these all fair against each other in a portrait session  ;) 

Fuji would destroy them all with the 56mm or 90mm 

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are many reasons why you should print on metal, including the durability and uniqueness of metal prints, as well as all the options you have for customizing your print.

May 29, 2020

Razer has unleashed the 2020 version of their Blade 15 Studio, and it is an incredible machine with the power visual creatives need.

May 29, 2020

Canvas or paper prints can be a nice addition to your home, but each one has distinct advantages and disadvantages that are helpful to know before you buy.

May 27, 2020

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

I have two high-powered laptops on my desk. In this Macbook vs Razer comparison, I'll break these computers down by specs, pros, and cons.

May 27, 2020

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

If you're in the market for a new camera strap and you want something custom and handmade, look no further than these custom camera straps from Holdfast.

May 26, 2020

You can learn nude photography with any kind of camera. What's more important is to focus on the process and making the model (and yourself) as comfortable as possible.

May 26, 2020