I had one lucky catch yesterday!

7 years 3 months ago #512661 by Matt VanDyke
I was photographing next to a lake yesterday and found an dock I could get on.  As I was trying to photograph the sunsetting with a soft edge grad ND filter on, I pulled my B+W polarized filter off and almost dropped it in the lake!  The lens literally got fumbled around in my hands before I finally got a good grasp on it.

That would have been a crummy end of day!

So, food for thought, pay attention and have a good grip on your filters when on screwing!  

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #512674 by TGonzo
Wow, talk about lucking out!!

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #512684 by effron
That's a reason I usually don't mess with screw on filters, unless I plan to leave them on. My arthritic hands are a guarantee to fumble them....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #512756 by Soccer Mom

effron wrote: That's a reason I usually don't mess with screw on filters, unless I plan to leave them on. My arthritic hands are a guarantee to fumble them....

What filters are you using?

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #512798 by Joves

effron wrote: That's a reason I usually don't mess with screw on filters, unless I plan to leave them on. My arthritic hands are a guarantee to fumble them....

That and when you are in those situations Mr Murphy seems to be lurking in the background just waiting to knock anything out of your hand.

7 years 3 months ago #512818 by Neillien
Sounds like a close one. Glad you managed to avert tragedy this time

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #512877 by Carry
That is a close call.  I can only imagine what all is laying to rest at the bottom of lakes around the world! 

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #512902 by rogdel
Better you than me...I don't have the reflexes to make that sort of save.

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #512971 by ThatNikonGuy
I dropped mine while on grass a couple years ago.  So these days, I wouldn't attempt changing while over water.  To much butter fingers!  lol 

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #513077 by Lavender Photo
I'm always extra careful when making gear adjustments in high places or by large bodies of water for exactly this reason

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #513124 by Wyrick Photography
Heck yes, you were lucky.  My luck would have had these at the bottom of the lake! LOL 

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #513223 by Jennifer Krueger
Good catch!

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago #514422 by DsquarePh0T0
I always have my camera attached to my Black Rapid Strap when shooting. Gear is expensive.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024