What is most expensive photo ever sold?

7 years 3 months ago #513194 by Glen Martin
Anyone happen to know what is the most expensive photo that has been sold?  I know some are public and others that are sold in private auctions.  

Who knows the answer to this?  

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #513199 by Jennifer Krueger
Looks like Peter Lik still has that title:   www.photographytalk.com/photography-arti...hotographs-ever-sold  

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #513212 by icepics
Supposedly... but the price has apparently not been verified. Art including photographs are sold thru galleries, auctions, etc. There is a record of sale that can be verified by the gallery or auction house.

Lik sells his photos thru his own galleries so there is no auctioneer or gallery owner to verify selling prices. Now that some of his photographs are being sold in the secondary art market, they are selling way below the value set by him and his galleries when first purchased by the buyers.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #513279 by Richard K Photography
How did Peter Lik get started anyway?  I mean seriously, how do you go from selling photos at $XXXX price to selling photos for in the millions?

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #513283 by Shadowfixer1

Richard K Photography wrote: How did Peter Lik get started anyway?  I mean seriously, how do you go from selling photos at $XXXX price to selling photos for in the millions?

It's called marketing. I read an article and it was very interesting how the sales people in his galleries operate and get you to buy in as an "investment". Fools gold.
7 years 3 months ago #513337 by Vahrenkamp
Actually that is a good question, how did he get his start?  

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #513409 by Shadowfixer1

Vahrenkamp wrote: Actually that is a good question, how did he get his start?  

Read away.
www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/business/pete...rint-money.html?_r=0
7 years 3 months ago #513523 by Owen
I would love to sell a print for even a fraction of that!  

Photo Comments
7 years 3 months ago #513639 by rogdel
Thought it was that Gursky pic...I have to say that the new most expensive image is pretty magnificent, though. Would love to sell prints for that sort of money.

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago #514058 by joirv
A nice picture, but not so sure that it's worth the $6.5M price tag

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago #514113 by Neil Dulay
Peter Lik's "One" photo.  Did you hear that he look that photo as a casual 'snap' of camera while walking near a pond, with the camera down by his waist?

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago #514145 by Richard Taylor
All I know is that it wasn't me!  

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago #514152 by Tammy B
It's pretty interesting to see what sort of stuff sells. Nevertheless, it's hard to imagine being able to afford a photo with that sort of price tag.

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago #514168 by Shadowfixer1
If I had to guess, I would say the mail in rebate for that sale was probably within about 5,000 of the sale price. B)
7 years 2 months ago #514349 by Hoss

Shadowfixer1 wrote: If I had to guess, I would say the mail in rebate for that sale was probably within about 5,000 of the sale price. B)

Ah, at first I was thinking no way.  But then it makes sense.  By doing that, and getting all the press that he did, would you agree that raised the value of his photos.  So what if, him and his team set this up with the intent to prime the market that his photos are worth that much.  Therefor creating a false market.  

Just my 3.5 cents!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024