Most advice from photographers on how to hold a camera steady is pure BS!

7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #516555 by Didereaux
Oh dear!  he's a radical ranter, a wannabe soapbox orator!   Nope  the topic line is accurate.  Think about this and ask yourself who, and in what thing(s) are the steadiest people in the world?    Ans:  Olympic rifle shooters.

They can stand unsupported with a rifle and put shot after shot touching at 30ft or further.   How do they do that?   That is what you need to know as well.  freestanding with a rifle is very little different than doing so with a camera, yet photographers in their ignorance, or uninformed bias against all things 'gun' almost never look at that source for how-to inspiration.

Below is a link that should get you started,  There are literally hundreds of sites with shooting stance information, but information from competition sources is the most accurate and thorough.  Pay particular attention to the detailed analysis of how your skeletal alignment should be.   This is is not hard to learn, and is not time consuming.  You can assume the position very quickly.   ...and of course with care all of the suggestions and information can and should be adjusted to your specific needs and body limitations.
***NOTE  all of these pertain particularly to using the longer lens's   400-800mm stuff, ones where you can place your hands under the barrel of the lens.  Note carefully how and where they place the supporting hand under the rifle...do this with the camera.

Look at several different styles, put the camera in place of the rifle, and modify only the bare minimum in order to hold the camera.   I am over 70, use a 150-600 handheld all the time and get a respectable number of clean shots...I also, until very recently shot rimfire and center fire in our local club competitions and always got a respectable showing  (290's out of 300)

AND PAY ATTENTION TO SHUTTER BUTTON technique.  don't slam your finger up and down on the shutter button and expect to have non-motion blur photos!

Okay, maybe one last thing!  Look at proper shotgunning techniques for pass shooting,   These techniques transfer directly into photography, absolutely identical technique to get the best shots of fast moving birds.

ISSF Olympic shooting position information

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago #516756 by rogdel
You're not wrong..if there's anyone steady out there, it's gotta be a rifleman...

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago #516759 by Gene.Culley
Good read and so true.  A friend of mine who spent 16 years in the Marine Corp taught me breathing techniques years ago.  It comes in handy when shooting my camera unsupported.  

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago #516834 by The Gardener
Such good recommendations in this post. 

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago #516960 by Jessa Layton
Thank you

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Didereaux
7 years 2 months ago #517043 by Amy Porter
That's why I always ALWAYS have a tripod with me.  

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #517051 by Didereaux

Amy Porter wrote: That's why I always ALWAYS have a tripod with me.  

I have tried and tried but for the life of me I just can't get the hang of swinging a tripod properly for a bird in flight shot!   I have also asked bears, and deer, and even elk to please wait a minute while I get the tripod set up.   ;)

They have their place and usage, but over half the time they are in the way and cause you to miss the shot.  They work best for me (at any rate) when I am shooting an 'environment' shot where the animal is quite a distance from me and not apt to detect me, or if it does to give a daam.

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago #517174 by Fess Walker
Yeah, wild animals just make it tough for us photographers!  

The techniques above are excellent and should be in chapter 1 of any first time camera hand book.  

good post

Bump for any newbies!  

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago #517543 by srubio77
Interesting take. I rarely run into problems steadying my camera (I usually have my tripod on me, or at least stowed in the back of my car, and I rarely take on wildlife or fast moving subjects), but I'll have to take a closer look through this.

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago #517614 by Stic
I'm not sure this is relevant in any way...

Firstly, target shooting is about shooting a stationary target and, i'm sorry but, if a photographer can't shoot a stationary object in the clear light of day with a modern camera and NOT produce a blur free image, then they need to give up photography!

I don't see the relevance, it's just NOT that hard to shoot a picture of a stationary object without blur!

I shoot motorsport and the car's i'm shooting are moving at upwards of 50-60mph or faster, and i'm shooting at 1/80th...

Obviously not using a tripod, either...

...just saying...

Photo Comments
7 years 2 months ago #517708 by Gene.Culley
Any military peeps here?

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #517810 by Didereaux

Stic wrote: I'm not sure this is relevant in any way...

Firstly, target shooting is about shooting a stationary target and, i'm sorry but, if a photographer can't shoot a stationary object in the clear light of day with a modern camera and NOT produce a blur free image, then they need to give up photography!

I don't see the relevance, it's just NOT that hard to shoot a picture of a stationary object without blur!

I shoot motorsport and the car's i'm shooting are moving at upwards of 50-60mph or faster, and i'm shooting at 1/80th...

Obviously not using a tripod, either...

...just saying...

Let's see some of your Chickadees or warblers flying shots.  How about some of your pheasant, or duck shots? How about some falcons or or other smalll fas raptors?   How about even something large like a running deer.  You shoot relatively HUGE cars and such, come on over and shoot some of the stuff even REAL pros have trouble with.   No, this article is VERY relevant to those who shoot wildlife.

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #517811 by Didereaux
DELETE dupe

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #517926 by Francis
Breathing is key and largely a skill that many photographers don't spend time mastering or considering how it effects your photography.  Now granted, most of the time, it's not going to make a difference.  However IMO there is much more to this than keeping your camera still, there is period of mental clarity when you exhale with purpose.  That's the best I can explain it.  

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #518054 by Tim Chiang
This is such a no brainer, and yet so many photographers don't pay attention to breathing techniques.  

Very good post.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024