Ken Rockwell quote about amateur photographers

7 years 3 weeks ago #521433 by Scott Klubeck
I was reading a quote website and found this quote.  Seriously does this guy think about that trash that he spews out of his mouth?  Does he look at himself in the mirror at night and say "I'm a winner, people like me?"  

This is that quote:  "People who earn less than half of their income from photography are amateurs. This has nothing to do with the quality of their photography." - Ken Rockwell 

I would guess most photographers are kind of like starving artist.  Some of these peoples work would crush the trash Ken has taken.  

Photo Comments
7 years 3 weeks ago #521435 by Jacko
I just ignore the not so bright people

Photo Comments
7 years 3 weeks ago #521438 by Vahrenkamp
Just ignore the stupidity

Photo Comments
7 years 3 weeks ago #521440 by KCook
  • I would guess most photographers are kind of like starving artist.  Some of these peoples work would crush the trash Ken has taken.
I don't doubt that hobbyists and part time photographers outnumber those who are full time.  So your argument with the KR quote escapes me?

literalguy

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 3 weeks ago #521467 by Ruby Grace
+1 don't pay attention to people like this.  Just like todays politics!  :rofl:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
7 years 3 weeks ago #521476 by effron

Ruby Grace wrote: +1 don't pay attention to people like this.  Just like todays politics!  :rofl:

Except ignoring Rockwell didn't get US a 20 trillion debt!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 3 weeks ago #521514 by Shadowfixer1
I must be missing something with the quote. Seems fine to me. I've seen many amateurs just as good as or better than a lot of pros. Just because a person chooses to make their living with photography doesn't necessarily make them good at it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
7 years 3 weeks ago #521521 by Screamin Scott
  "People who earn less than half of their income from photography are amateurs. This has nothing to do with the quality of their photography." - Ken Rockwell 

Said the idiot...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 2 weeks ago #521659 by Scott Klubeck
Doesn't sound off?  I know many great photographers who don't earn much from their photography, and they are far from being an amateur.  It's dumb thing to be quoted saying IMO.  

Photo Comments
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #521773 by Shadowfixer1

Scott Klubeck wrote: Doesn't sound off?  I know many great photographers who don't earn much from their photography, and they are far from being an amateur.  It's dumb thing to be quoted saying IMO.  

If they don't make their living by photography, they are amateurs. Professional photographer means their profession is as a photographer. That is the definition. Being a Pro or an amateur has nothing to do with the quality of the work. That is all he said. I don't get why you're so cranked up about it. I'm not to fond of ole Ken either but there is nothing wrong with what he said. He is just saying you don't have to be a pro to be good.  
7 years 2 weeks ago #521774 by Stanly
Well it's a slippery slope, to suggest all that don't make a full time income as an amateur is off, way off actually.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
7 years 2 weeks ago #521780 by KCook
Professional photographer means their profession is as a photographer. That is the definition. Being a Pro or an amateur has nothing to do with the quality of the work.

Exactly.  I'm surprised that so many responses here infer that all amateur work is crap and all pro work is outstanding.  Business definitions have nothing to do with excellence, or the lack of same.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 2 weeks ago #521807 by Shadowfixer1

Stanly wrote: Well it's a slippery slope, to suggest all that don't make a full time income as an amateur is off, way off actually.

Don't confuse the terms. Quality has nothing to do with pro/amateur. Your "profession" defines whether you are a pro or an amateur. If it's your profession, you better be making money or you will be homeless and starving. Here is the definition of amateur out of the dictionary. "One who engages in a pursuit, study, science, or sport as a pastime rather than as a profession."
7 years 2 weeks ago #521822 by ShutterPal
Well if the guy wasn't so wildly 'liked', then half the remarks wouldn't exist.  :rofl:

Photo Comments
7 years 2 weeks ago #521827 by effron
Just notice the attention his remarks garnered. So much ado about nothing, me thinks....Ignore him?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024