How are you preparing for a photo trip?

6 years 10 months ago #528011 by Richard Taylor
In 3 weeks I'll be in Brazil for the first time.  Excited!  

More out of curiosity (and preparation), I'd be interested to learn how you prepare for trips you know will be heavy with photo opportunities.

How much research are you doing ahead of time on the vantage points you want to hit up?

Most of the time, I'd be a leave it to chance and talking with the locals.  However just thinking more about this trip.  

Feel free to leave any tips on what you do to prep for a trip.   

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #528032 by John Landolfi
I always try to learn as much as I can about the locations I plan to visit, something about their history, topography, available transportation, places of interest, must-see spots. In Europe, the Michelin Green guides are very valuable. There are similar resources for the US. I wouldn't rely on chatting up locals, although I would certainly ask for information when there. And in this moment, I would be concerned with any  TSA recently tightened regulations that might affect what can be carried on, especially on the way back. It would be a disaster to be told at the Rome airport that my camera bag had to be checked...

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #528042 by effron
I agree with John, especially the point on chatting up locals, maybe NOT a good idea. Pack light, not just what you can carry, but easily carry. Also, make a list of places you'd like to see/photograph and have about five back-up plans and include a couple that can be achieved, enjoyed in any weather....

Tenha uma viagem segura e divertida

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #528109 by Rob Conley
Jump on Google images and street view

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #528117 by Joves
:rofl:
Plans we don't need no stinkin plans. You all are too prepared. I have always been a wing it kind of guy. Makes life more interesting to me, and for some reason shots seem to magically come up.

6 years 10 months ago #528127 by Ian Stone

Rob Conley wrote: Jump on Google images and street view

:agree:  

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #528139 by CanonKid
Google street view is great for finding cool vantage points

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #528145 by Richard Taylor
Well thank you all. Good tips on all accounts.  I wouldn't say I'm a plan every minute sort of person.  I do however want to make sure I'm able to see as many good photo vantage points. 

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #528170 by effron
Flickr used to be a good source for pre planning travel photo sites, not too sure since yahoo bought and ruined it though....worth a look.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #528171 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #528178 by Vahrenkamp
I'll generally make a list of the spots I'll want to hit up ahead of time.  I don't block of time, or anything like that.  

Google does work great for this.  Not to mention running those spots against Google's Image section helps you find ideas.  

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #528247 by ThatNikonGuy
Travel guides and Google

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #528280 by KCook
If a budget guide service is available, I will spend a half day on Day One with them, just to get the lay of the land.

Otherwise I struggle with Google Earth.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

6 years 10 months ago #528296 by Roy Wilson
Google Earth is a great source for direction when traveling and looking for good spots to photograph ahead of time.

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #528346 by Prago
Most trips I just have a list of top areas I want to hit up, however I don't research each and schedule time ahead of time.  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024