Sound Shark

6 years 10 months ago #530004 by ShadowWalker
I want to set up a camera to record birds and wildlife and want to do it in a way that keeps things hidden.  The camera is easy as I built a box that goes around it and painted it camouflaged.  

If I paint a Sound Shark, will that interfere with it picking up the sound?  Also is there a way to remote transmit sound from a Sound Shark back to a camera if you decide to set up the mic in another location?  

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #530011 by Raymond II
Camo paint is layered and lumpy right? I don't think that will be good for catching sound waves.  I might be wrong, but I would guess you don't want to paint that.  Do you own it yet?  What sort of range are you able to get from that?  

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #530012 by ShadowWalker
Thank you.  No not yet, looking at one.  Need something that will pick up animal noises and birds.  I read an article on another site that linked over to one here, and there were a number of recommendations.  So I'm with you.  Looks slick.  

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #530013 by Raymond II
Camo paint is layered and lumpy right? I don't think that will be good for catching sound waves.  I might be wrong, but I would guess you don't want to paint that.  Do you own it yet?  What sort of range are you able to get from that?  

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #530022 by Trisha.M
I have a friend who has one of these things and he has 3 yellow stickers that make two eyes and smily face on the back side of it. Which is fine because the sound doesn't touch there.  So you can paint the back side.  Not sure if that will work for you.  

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #530023 by Overread
Why paint it?  It's clear.  I don't think painting it will make any difference with the the birds and animals you are taping.  I'm sure there is some sort of transmitter you can get that will allow remote transmitting.  Might be a good question for the manufacture.   I'll have to dig for it, I seem to recall reading an article here that spoke about this same mic.  I'll see about digging it up, might have details on distance you can get with it.  Honestly can't recall.  

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #530055 by Vahrenkamp
Well this sort of setup is also relying on the small mic within the dish as well.  Just a FYI, it's like getting a great lens and putting a cheap low quality filter in front of it.  You want to be mindful of this too.  

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #530124 by SoundShark1
This is Paul from Sound Shark Audio.  I'm also the "inventor"/designer of the Sound Shark.

You can do pretty much anything you want to the outside surface of the dish without affecting the audio that the Sound Shark captures.  However, as someone else mentioned, the dish is clear so it blends into the background very well.  You could also place some lightweight material over the unit.  Lightweight material or mesh will not affect the audio noticeably.
I hope that helps!
Attachments:
6 years 10 months ago #530140 by Colorado Mike
What's the weight of that disk?  

Photo Comments
6 years 10 months ago #530182 by SoundShark1
I'm not sure why the photo didn't load properly.  Sorry about that.
Attachments:
6 years 10 months ago #530184 by SoundShark1
About 10 ounces. It weighs half as much as my 580 EX flash :-)
6 years 10 months ago #530187 by SoundShark1
6 years 10 months ago #530190 by SoundShark1
Vahrenkamp
The small size of a microphone does not mean it is poor quality.  Hollywood and Broadway use lavalier microphones all the time.  This picture shows one of our parabolic  mics on the sidelines of Super Bowl 45 with a lavalier mic being used.  The majority of the parabolic mics used by Fox for football use lavaliere (lapel) mics in them.  (Sound Shark Audio is a division of Klover Products which sells the Klover MiK line of parabolic microphones. Fox has been using our parabolics exclusively since 2012.)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024