TriggerTrap kickstarter fail

6 years 9 months ago #530982 by Andrew AG
Anyone know the story why this company failed after raising so much more money than what they were after?  

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #530984 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #531004 by KenMan
So the people who invested lost all their $$?  Man, that sucks.  Makes you wonder how much would have saved the company from this doom.  

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #531047 by Tony Imaging
I remember this Kickstarter campaign.  I came close to jumping in.  It's a shame what happened, this product really had a good idea behind it.   Miops took that idea and ran with it. 

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #531049 by Screamin Scott
I'm averse to risk and this simply reinforces my aversion.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #531086 by Joves

KenMan wrote: So the people who invested lost all their $$?  Man, that sucks.  Makes you wonder how much would have saved the company from this doom.  

They stated as one of the reasons that it was going to cost more than they thought was feasible. Which means we really were not planning on making a product. That they claimed they spent 80% on the development is also parlance for, thanks suckers we had a great time not having to work for a living, while living lavishly.

I know that to some this sounds rather jaded, or negative, but this is how I see all of Kickscammer. To me legitimate people get their funding by selling actual stock interests in their company. This means that they have certain obligations under the law to their stockholders, and a major one is publishing reports on expenditures, and  what they were for. Also if the company makes it, you as a share holder get money back in the form of dividends, not this crap of you get one of the product crap, and that is all. With the Kick method I can make up some product that I say I will manufacture, after development with no actual intention of making it. Then I get the monies, post some phony progress to sucker in more, empty the account, and claim that it will not work out, and I spent all of the cash.

No thanx.

6 years 9 months ago #531104 by effron
Yup, and oddly all they were making was a dongle...the app was free. Not sure what the investors were promised but they sure only got an empty, wet bag. That being said, I still use TriggerTrap, the only issue is if I have a problem, NO assistance or customer service, and the app will never be updated....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #531114 by Owen
Poor planning, simple as that

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #531201 by MYoung
I remember reading about this.  They estimated they would have needed 3X of what they received in order to pull this off.  

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #531264 by Happy Snapper
You kidding they would have needed more than that.  There much more wrong than financing with this.  Poor planning.  

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #531412 by Overread
Sorry to be the one to go against the grain, I remember this device and frankly, I just didn't see it as a breakthrough product.  It wasn't innovating and new.  Think about it, there were other products on the market that did what it did already.  They just had a semi clever marketing message that made it seem like the newest must have gadget.  

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #531490 by Moe
Really? You think they were that far off?

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #531492 by effron

Overread wrote: Sorry to be the one to go against the grain, I remember this device and frankly, I just didn't see it as a breakthrough product.  It wasn't innovating and new.  Think about it, there were other products on the market that did what it did already.  They just had a semi clever marketing message that made it seem like the newest must have gadget.  

As I mentioned, all you needed was a thirty dollar dongle. Other units cost three times that, often more. They bet way too much that would be the selling point, they needed to sell far too many in a competitive market and failed at that. I also believe these kick starter deals are a bad risk, because you work harder if your own money is at risk than people you've never met. 
There are others doing the same things, some are raved about in this site's pages. I will buy a product, not invest to get one.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #533070 by piranha
The problem with all these trigger devices that have a smartphone in the mix, is that they are at the mercy of OS latency. Also, relying on the phone's sensors simply adds unknowns, as does the phone's wireless link. Triggertrap's latest product, the Ada, was intended to be a stand alone unit, I believe, in order to overcome these limitations. One of their biggest errors was in using questionable third parties to develop software and hardware. If the skills are lacking, throwing more money at the problem won't solve it.

I was underwhelmed with the original Triggertrap V1, which I only read about, and the app certainly did not alter my opinion. Nothing can compare with the timing and reliability of a true embedded system, reacting to dedicated sensors in as short a time as possible. In high-speed photography, an unexpected delay of one millisecond might as well be a week.

I sincerely doubt if any smartphone-connected device can achieve the response time demonstrated in the attached photograph. Forget the suspended, balloon-shaped volume of water, guys; we are serious photographers.

Nothing will stop a dedicated engineer on a mission.

Photo Comments
Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024