Photographing boats and permission needed?

6 years 9 months ago #531864 by Richard K Photography
So I was photographing some boats that were tied up in the harbor today and got asked to put my camera away.   Someone came up to me stating it was private property.

Are boats tied up in a harbor considered private property and off limits to our cameras?  

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #531880 by KCook
The boats themselves are likely private property. But so are automobiles. As long as you are not standing on private property at the time the shot is taken, it is not illegal. Some marinas and docks are private property, some are not.

If an objection is made, it's usually because they think you are paparazzi, trying to capture a celebrity.

I shoot boats all the time, never was told not to.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

6 years 9 months ago #531904 by effron
Agree with Cook, it seems everybody is a legal eagle these days. You probably aimed your camera at a politician's boat.  I photograph boats on open water, in harbors, on trailers, etc  all the time too, and will continue to do so....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #531918 by Gene.Culley
I would have thought surely this was a green light.  But still even with a politician owning a boat, I can't see this as a no go.  Think about it, are you told to not photograph a car?  No.  So why a boat different?  They don't own the water.

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #531934 by garyrhook
If the boat dock is private property, the only issue is, what is the policy for the facility? Whatever it is, the boat owners signed up for it when they rented a slip (whether they like it or not). So my response (now that I know better) would be, "what is the policy on any photography here? Cell phones, point-and-shoots, etc."

If the facility is public/municipal, then you're on public property, and everything is fair game. My response in that case (again, now that I know better) is, "I'm standing on public property, and the law is very clear that anything I can see is fair game. I require nor permit nor permission. Please leave me alone." Or some words to that effect. I'd be nice, of course.

I might even engage them by asking what they think is allowed, and why. And why they perceive a problem.

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #531950 by icepics
Depends... some public parks are now requiring permits or charging fees but that's usually for a photographer to set up and do a 'shoot'. Basically that photographer is conducting business in the park and using the park as their 'studio' of sorts.

BEFORE YOU GO - get on their website, is the place public or private? what is their policy on cameras?

If you are using the park for the intended use, for recreational use, most places allow cameras and allow visitors to take photos. I've gone to a state park nearby and taken pictures of boats and ducks and nobody including the ducks seem to care.

It depends on usage - are these pictures just for your personal use? If not and you intend to use the photos for business or commercial use you'll probably need to get property releases signed; for fine art prints usually not. ASMP did have a 'pocket' release to carry with you, and an app, that might be worth looking into.

Who was the person telling you this?? Find out the policy AHEAD of TIME so you are informed and can discuss it with the person. But if someone really doesn't want themselves or their boat photographed, then have the courtesy to be respectful and leave them alone - it's probably not going to be worth the trouble. If the person was saying you can't take pictures there at all, then find out what the policy is so you can tell someone like that what the policy is. They may/may not be someone who works there, or knows the policy, or has the authority to say anything to you about it.

Sharon
Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #531994 by rosh4u
The properties are private many a times. You are taking pictures by standing away from or that I don't think that its illegal. Some are private property while some are not. But it may depend if you are clicking pictures of celebrity's properties.

6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #531995 by KCook
One possible issue is if the boat is a "liveaboard", or houseboat. In other words, somebody lives on it. Then the "car" analogy gets replaced by the "home" analogy. Is it always legal to photograph somebody's home? They may object more strongly than if it is just their conveyance. However, assuming you are shooting from a respectful distance, I would not expect a complaint.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

6 years 9 months ago #532038 by Shadowfixer1
Private property = Their rules. They can tell you not to make images.

Public property = Tell them they are not allowed to tell you what and where you can shoot.
6 years 9 months ago #532043 by Screamin Scott
What's not being mentioned is the end use of the image. If you try to sell to a stock company, you better have a signed release if anything is recognizable (like the name of the boat). An image for your own collection, not an issue.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #532065 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Private property = Their rules. They can tell you not to make images.

This is imprecise. Private property means the property owner gets to make the rules. No one else, not even a tenant. Unless otherwise stated in a lease agreement.

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #532067 by garyrhook

KCook wrote: One possible issue is if the boat is a "liveaboard", or houseboat. In other words, somebody lives on it. Then the "car" analogy gets replaced by the "home" analogy. Is it always legal to photograph somebody's home? They may object more strongly than if it is just their conveyance. However, assuming you are shooting from a respectful distance, I would not expect a complaint.

I believe this is incorrect. In the USA I am within my legal rights to stand in a public thoroughfare and take photos of a residence all day long, without problem. We don't care if it's a houseboat, it's still watercraft. What and where it is has no relevance to its use. Per my other post, it's the property owner that gets to decide what is and is not allowed on their property. A boat owner could reasonably ask you to not take photos of their boat (we should probably respect that) but that doesn't give them license to ask you to put a camera away.

I wonder if they ask the same of people with mobile phones? I'll bet not.

I've heard stories of complaints about photographing cars in public locations. People are odd.

"Respectful distance" is irrelevant. What matters is where you're standing, and what you can see without "special" equipment. This is exactly why paparazzi are not (usually) breaking the law when they do what they do.

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #532068 by garyrhook

rosh4u wrote: The properties are private many a times. You are taking pictures by standing away from or that I don't think that its illegal. Some are private property while some are not. But it may depend if you are clicking pictures of celebrity's properties.

Well, what matters is the law where you are. Opinions don't count. And the law can differ from locale to locale.

Being a celebrity is irrelevant. And their property is irrelevant. Look at what paparazzi get away with, legally.

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #532069 by garyrhook

Screamin Scott wrote: What's not being mentioned is the end use of the image. If you try to sell to a stock company, you better have a signed release if anything is recognizable (like the name of the boat). An image for your own collection, not an issue.

Irrelevant. The end usage has nothing to do with the capture of the image. Yes, there are release issues related to people and property with respect to potential usage of an image, but that doesn't (in the USA) affect whether or not one can capture an image. Only what one may do with it after the fact.

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #532209 by Athena
I've never heard that you can't photograph boats or cars for that matter.  Just buildings that are owned by government. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024