Almost got ripped off from Craigslist seller yesterday

6 years 8 months ago #534190 by Conner
I met up with someone who was selling a Canon 200mm f/2 yesterday for $1000 cash.  I met them at Starbucks and right away, he says he's running late and can only talk for 30 seconds.  

Something seemed off.  

He claimed the lens was like new.  Already I noticed the body had some wear on it.  I asked him if he was OK with me testing.  The guy responded "don't you trust me?!" in a semi loud voice.  

I told him I just want to snap a couple shots off.  I pulled out my camera, and the got got up and walked out. 

I think I dodged a rip off here.  

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534192 by garyrhook
Ya think?

I can't imagine why anyone would not plan ahead to avoid getting taken. I tell the seller what I will do. If that's not acceptable, then I won't waste my time. In your case, the moment he said he only had 30 seconds, I would have said "thank you" and walked out. The moment he asked about trust, I would have responded, equally loudly, "no". Then walked out.

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534193 by garyrhook
Ya think?

I can't imagine why anyone would not plan ahead to avoid getting taken. I tell the seller what I will do. If that's not acceptable, then I won't waste my time. In your case, the moment he said he only had 30 seconds, I would have said "thank you" and walked out. The moment he asked about trust, I would have responded, equally loudly, "no". Then walked out.

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534205 by Conner
Ya, I think.  This all took place in under 60 seconds.  I didn't fall for it one bit.  I wasn't pushed around and saw what was coming.

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534241 by garyrhook

Conner wrote: Ya, I think.  This all took place in under 60 seconds.  I didn't fall for it one bit.  I wasn't pushed around and saw what was coming.

Good for you.

Note that my comments are more intended for those that may not have had the pleasure of engaging in a CL transaction. CL can be very useful, but one must be on one's toes.

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534249 by Jim Photo
Yeah, I'd say you dodged a con artist!  

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534293 by effron
I agree with Gary, the moment he said he'd only talk thirty seconds, I'd have been done. Too bad you couldn't call a cop as the lens was probably stolen.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534321 by ThatNikonGuy
OMG that lens had to be smoking hot.  I don't care what I'm buying, I never take for granted what someone is telling me.  I test, and test.  Then when I feel comfortable, I purchase.  

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534337 by Shadowfixer1
Be very careful when meeting someone from Craigslist. My wife had a co-worker murdered while trying to buy a drone about 4 or 5 months ago. Meet at a police station or somewhere similar. 
6 years 8 months ago #534382 by Tuscany
I would have told the guy to walk 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534402 by Peter Nunez
I would have been ticked off from any time I invested in meeting up with the guy. Another reason why I can't stand doing business with people from CL.  to many shady people.  

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534439 by Fishtaco
WOW, what a dirt bag.  I would have had the red flags go off too.  And I would have been disappointed!

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534471 by Foxy Girl
I don't buy anything unless I can fully test.  

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #534689 by Gene.Culley
Should have handled him an envelope full of Monopoly money, telling him your short on time as well, he can trust you, no need to count what's in the envelope.  

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #535623 by rogdel
Definitely wouldn't have given that guy the time of day if he supposedly could only spare me a few seconds...sounds like a grade a schmuck

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024