Error FEE Lock lens aperture ring at minimum aperture

6 years 9 months ago #534289 by mariaevinne
Hey everyone.

I needed a zoom lens so found a lens on eBay that is a Tamron 80-210 mm.
I put it in my Nikon D3000, and get the error code "lock lens aperture ring at minimum aperture (largest f/-number).
Well, I have it locked at 22 (I'm assuming when the little tab on the ring that adjusts that pops out and the ring can no longer move unless you press the tab in), and my camera still has the error.
It won't let me go into manual or aperture priority mode to change it. Just the error and won't allow me to do anything.
Is this possibly a bad lens, or am I not doing something right? I would assume being the seller advertised this as a Nikon lens, as well as the fact that the lens actually fit into the camera, that it was at least made for Nikon.
I mean, I got a steal on the lens ($31 after shipping) but if it's bad, obviously, I'm not for throwing $31 out the door.
Thanks for any help you can provide!

6 years 9 months ago #534418 by Prago
Did you try to clean the connectors on it? 

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #534458 by Screamin Scott
I'll be willing to bet that the lens is an older AF lens and not an AFS lens. Even though the lens may be an AF model, older tech means the lens needs a motor in the camera body in order to AF, which your camera does not. That really isn't the issue here. The lens isn't communicating with the camera to let it know the aperture is set where it is. I'd bet there are differing number of contacts on the lens as opposed to the camera body. If the number of contacts is the same, then try cleaning them as mentioned above. If the lens doesn't have a built in focus motor (and I'm 99.9% certain it doesn't) you will get metering, but no auto focusing. Return it & get a newer, more compatible lens...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #534461 by effron
Above is correct, and you sometimes get exactly what you pay for. I know fleaBay and Craigs are at times offering things too good to be true, but buy your important gear (lenses and bodies) from a reputable seller.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #534462 by Screamin Scott
Buying off of eBay or Craig's List requires one to know their gear inside & out. Plus be able to know what may be mis-represented on the sites. I have sent emails to sellers informing them of errors in their listings many times.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024