Tiny figures

6 years 9 months ago #534495 by garyrhook
Apparently I am the only person on the planet that finds (for the most part) images of tiny figures in vast landscapes remarkably uninteresting. Do viewers really lack imagination?

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #534499 by Shadowfixer1
I think if you ran a poll, you would find the majority of people agree with you.
6 years 9 months ago #534500 by Pettigrew
I'm with you on this one.  I'll bite, what brings this up?

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #534502 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I think if you ran a poll, you would find the majority of people agree with you.

Well, you'd think so, but many self-professed experts claim that putting people into photos helps the viewer envision themselves in that location. That a sense of scale is important to impart (and sometimes it is... .sometimes). And now it appears to be a "thing". 

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #534503 by garyrhook

Pettigrew wrote: I'm with you on this one.  I'll bite, what brings this up?

Aside from finding it generally annoying, I'm a finalist in a ViewBug contest.

www.viewbug.com/blog/into-the-night-photo-contest-finalists

I've gone through the entire set of finalists. Image after image of the Milky Way.... which makes most of them seem pedestrian. And many images containing a tiny figure. I guess to illustrate the enormity of the galaxy? I don't know, exactly, but it bores me. My eye is drawn to the figure, not the grandeur of the landscape/sky/whatever. To me, more often than not, it just ruins the image. IMO.

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #534504 by Pettigrew
Way to go on the contest, good luck on the final win!  

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #534519 by KCook
Relax already.  Astro photography is just weird :toocrazy:

grounded

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

6 years 9 months ago #534555 by garyrhook

KCook wrote: Relax already.  Astro photography is just weird :toocrazy:

Well, I brought it up in this context, but the issue is endemic in landscape photography now, as a whole. And it was either here or FB; PT seemed to make more sense. :lol:

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #534577 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I think if you ran a poll, you would find the majority of people agree with you.

Well, you'd think so, but many self-professed experts claim that putting people into photos helps the viewer envision themselves in that location. That a sense of scale is important to impart (and sometimes it is... .sometimes). And now it appears to be a "thing". 

Ah yes. The self proclaimed experts. This has been a pet peeve of mine for many years. I've entered juried shows before and had images compete against all forms of art work. The judges or highly educated art critics judging pick some of the dumbest pieces I have ever seen and then go on and on about what makes it great art. I remember a best of show being a No. 2 pencil sketch on a piece of brown hardboard that I could have done in 3 minutes. In fact, most 8 or 9 year olds could have done it 5 minutes. These people try to make you think they are so much smarter than us unwashed souls. Most of them couldn't create anything pleasing if their life depended on it. Their only talent is convincing some people that they have artistic vision above and beyond most people. Horse puckey!
  Make the images fit your vision. If they like it, they like it. If they don't, who cares? Rant over....
6 years 9 months ago #534581 by effron

garyrhook wrote:

Well, I brought it up in this context, but the issue is endemic in landscape photography now, as a whole. And it was either here or FB; PT seemed to make more sense. :lol:

Its a clique kind of thing sometimes, and it might be worse at FB, but you'll find it here as well....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #534582 by garyrhook

effron wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

Its a clique kind of thing sometimes, and it might be worse at FB, but you'll find it here as well....

Oops. I meant I was going to rant either here or on FB...

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #534610 by Joslyn
Which photo is yours there? 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
6 years 9 months ago #534617 by sleeper54
Now if you had a "tiny figure" sitting on or under a mushroom . . .that might be worth capturing an image.

Which is kinda where I first thought this post/thread was going . . ..

...tom...

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #534631 by garyrhook
The yellow and green hot air balloon. Never expected it to be chosen or I'd have worked on it a bit more...

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #534667 by effron
I've never even picked a contest winner, never understand....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024