Buying used camera gear vs buying new?

6 years 8 months ago #535138 by Ontherocks
What is your personal policy on buying used?  Will you buy a used camera body?  Would you buy a used camera lens? 

I was chatting with another photographer yesterday about this.  I have no problem buying used lenses, but the camera body, I want new.   That was just me. 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535160 by ThatNikonGuy
If it's a good deal and the item checks out, I'll be used any day. 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535170 by Screamin Scott
I've bought used bodies but I check them out real good too.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535187 by Alvin K
I have no issues with buying used if a good deal and I can trust the seller.  

6 years 8 months ago #535196 by effron
I prefer new bodies, but have bought used lenses....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #535197 by Screamin Scott
Most of my bodies (digital that is) have been refurbs....One was used, two were new, three were refurbs..Lenses have almost all been used or refurbs...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535199 by garyrhook
I think you can tell quite a bit from the condition of the exterior of a body. Past that, what matters is the actuation count, which you can get from a recent photo. Every shutter mechanism has an estimated number of actuations, which will help you assess risk/return. That said, both of my body purchases have been new, because they've been new-ish models (i.e. un-replaced).

For lenses, all of mine are pre-owned. If the lens works, talks to the camera, and (again) has an exterior in good condition, then it's probably a safe bet. Past that, you can get guaranteed lenses through Amazon, or refurbs.

If I can get a lens used in a good deal, I'll do it.

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535204 by Jessa Layton

Screamin Scott wrote: I've bought used bodies but I check them out real good too.

+1 same with me

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535235 by Dana Leeson
I prefer camera bodies to be new and the glass is OK in my book being used.  Depending on price and condition of course.  

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535253 by rosh4u
I would say that it's totally personal choice and preference. If the deal and condition of the camera are good I would go for it. But yeah, if there is no much difference is not much in the price of used and new then its good to go for a new camera. 

6 years 8 months ago #535265 by Shadowfixer1
I bought my Olympus E-M1 from KEH used. I couldn't believe the condition it was in when I received it. If you had unboxed a brand new one and swapped them around in a blind test, there wouldn't be anyway to pick the new from the used. I went through the steps to check shutter count and it was at 999. It came with a 6 month warranty and was several hundred dollars cheaper. Good deal. Each instance will vary I'm sure, but I came out way ahead. I have bought 2 lenses from the Olympus refurb outlet and they looked and worked as new. I guess a person needs to do whatever they are comfortable with. If you are willing to gamble on having to send something back that's not acceptable, then you can save quite a bit of money.
6 years 8 months ago #535297 by KENT MELTON
If a good deal, then yes, buy used all day

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535479 by Frederick Images
I've bought used glass in the past.  I always buy new camera bodies though.  Mainly for the warranty.  I've never had much any problems with lenses. 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535480 by Screamin Scott
I've never had to utilize a camera warranty.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #535527 by Joves
For me it is glass without hesitation. Film bodies depend on what glass is coming with them, because I only buy film bodies for the glass. Digital bodies always new. While I have yet to use a warranty, I trust Mr Murphy's Law that a used one would break on me, if I have the warranty they never do.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024