The extinction of the local camera stores

6 years 8 months ago #536907 by Fess Walker
Another local camera store closed down.  That's 3 in the last 12 months.  Before long, there will be only B&H and Adorama.  At that point, B&H and Adorama, will be like an amusement park for photographers.  Then just Amazon.  Personally I'll miss going into the physical stores.  

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #536923 by Screamin Scott
"The times, they are a'changin" to quote Dylan....

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #536926 by garyrhook

Fess Walker wrote: Another local camera store closed down.  That's 3 in the last 12 months.  Before long, there will be only B&H and Adorama.  At that point, B&H and Adorama, will be like an amusement park for photographers.  Then just Amazon.  Personally I'll miss going into the physical stores.  

If the store relies on printing and selling consumer-level products, unfortunately, yes. People no longer think anything of using a physical store to examine goods, then buy online for the lowest price found.

It's short-sighted and tragic.

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #536942 by effron
The last few years its hard to understand how I've been treated in a couple B&M camera stores. From, "you don't want that" to "I won't sell Nikon, they don't tell me how much profit I can take", to ignoring me all together....Whatever.
 There are some I hated to see go, every one was an older businessman with an established (earned) customer base and understood how silly photographers can be. I also miss being able to touch and fondle gear I could never afford.
They have nobody to blame but themselves, not Amazon, Adorama, B&H, Ritz, etc., those stores saw a market and went for it, and did it right.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #536950 by Joves

effron wrote: The last few years its hard to understand how I've been treated in a couple B&M camera stores. From, "you don't want that" to "I won't sell Nikon, they don't tell me how much profit I can take", to ignoring me all together..

:agree:
And then there is the ever we can order that for you line. Then they say it will be here next week, and then I will say I can have it here tomorrow. I always tell them that I only come into their shops when I want something. Which is true, because I have never been a window shopper. But the rudeness of some in this business is what it killing them.

6 years 8 months ago #536955 by Shadowfixer1
B&M stores will have a hard time making it until all internet sales are taxed. That's a tough disadvantage to overcome. That has been the B&M demise more so than rude customer service. Not every place had rude, stupid people working at them.
6 years 8 months ago #536962 by effron

Shadowfixer1 wrote: B&M stores will have a hard time making it until all internet sales are taxed. That's a tough disadvantage to overcome. That has been the B&M demise more so than rude customer service. Not every place had rude, stupid people working at them.

Quite a few New Hampshire stores are now gone and we never had a sales tax.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #536975 by Carry
Agree, and it's only going to get worse for the smaller camera stores.  Wouldn't be surprised to see 40-50% less camera stores in the next 5-7 years. 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537050 by Owen
I've seen a couple here shut down in the last few years.  It's going to happen, these smaller stores just can't survive on the low margins with their low volume sales compared to B&H or Adorma.  Simple economics.  

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537112 by clbryant1981
On top of what everyone has already mentioned, not that long ago everyone had a digital camera of some kind.  Parents were buying the entry level dslr cameras to take pictures of their kids, etc.  Now days cell phone cameras have improved so much that the average person only needs their cell camera.  This is a couple years old, but still makes sense.   petapixel.com/2015/04/09/this-is-what-th...martphones-included/

6 years 8 months ago #537174 by Fess Walker
At the end, it will be the big 3: Amazon, B&H and Adorama 

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #538640 by albinpix
I don't know...from my experience a lot of local stores are stuck in their ways, and not adapting to the market is a death wish. Can't say I'm really that sad to see them go.

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #538664 by Adam S
I haven't been in a camera store in years.  Amazon and B&H order is all I do

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024