What lens would you use?

6 years 8 months ago #537232 by stuartsbarbie
I think I posted this in the wrong place so I am re-posting it here.

Hi all. Hope you missed me
. I have been gone a little while. I have have a new question and what
better place to ask than here with all my shutterbug friends. My
daughter has given me a piece of her artwork, done in color pencils. I
took it to be framed and the gentleman wanted to know if she would be
willing to sell him some prints. (Yep he was that impressed with her
work). Now the big question: It is incredibly expensive to have it
turned into a digital file. Most places I have spoken with are charging
$75 for one picture. If we go this route the lose money. Since he is a
small shop he can only afford to pay $50 for each print.

My husband says wait a minute, you have that expensive camera, printer
and scanner, can't you do it? I am wondering if I could. I have a
Canon6d. What lens would you use? I also have a Canon printer that I
bought just for photos. Any idea on what ink to use. What do you think
of Giclee printing? Any helpful hints would be great too. Or should I
just say to heck with it, bite the bullet, pay the price and hope there
will be more orders in the near future to make up the cost.

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537241 by garyrhook

stuartsbarbie wrote: I think I posted this in the wrong place so I am re-posting it here.

Hi all. Hope you missed me

. I have been gone a little while. I have have a new question and what
better place to ask than here with all my shutterbug friends. My
daughter has given me a piece of her artwork, done in color pencils. I
took it to be framed and the gentleman wanted to know if she would be
willing to sell him some prints. (Yep he was that impressed with her
work). Now the big question: It is incredibly expensive to have it
turned into a digital file. Most places I have spoken with are charging
$75 for one picture. If we go this route the lose money. Since he is a
small shop he can only afford to pay $50 for each print.

My husband says wait a minute, you have that expensive camera, printer
and scanner, can't you do it? I am wondering if I could. I have a
Canon6d. What lens would you use? I also have a Canon printer that I
bought just for photos. Any idea on what ink to use. What do you think
of Giclee printing? Any helpful hints would be great too. Or should I
just say to heck with it, bite the bullet, pay the price and hope there
will be more orders in the near future to make up the cost.

First of all: $75 for the conversion? That's inexpensive. The conversion to a digital file is a one-time deal, and then you get all the prints made that you want. How many prints is he willing to buy up front? A lot depends upon how big the print is going to be.

Once you have a file, you can get prints made at any lab for a reasonable amount, or print your own (if you have a decent pigment-based printer). But you want decent, archival paper and pigment-based ink (not dye).

If you try creating the file yourself, it's all about the lighting. do you want to capture texture from the original, or minimize it? You can take several smaller shots, and combine them, to create a larger original file, but that takes work in both PS and your lighting.

You gotta figure out revenue vs. expense. Good luck.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: stuartsbarbie
6 years 8 months ago #537250 by Prago
What lenses do you currently have? What size is the original drawing? 

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537320 by TGonzo
To get a production quality replica, you'll need perfect lighting as well.  If you don't have the lighting gear, that would be additional cost, and more reason to take them up on the $75 scan they are offering. 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537343 by Colorado Mike
To increase the quality of the prints to be sold, I would just pay the guy the $75 bucks.  You'll have the digital files for future needs as well. 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537347 by stuartsbarbie
Thank you Gary. Everyone says that's a great price and I am thinking about biting the bullet on this just to help her get started. It is a small color pencil drawing and is 9x11. One place said they could do two at once, so I told her to work on another one and that would help offset the price.

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537348 by stuartsbarbie
I have a 300 telephoto, a 75 landscape and a 100 close up. I personally don't think any of those will do the trick, but I told my husband I would ask the "gang".

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537360 by Joves
Well I suggest that you try shooting with the 75&100mm lenses. Then post processing them to match the drawing as much as possible, and then try printing one to see how well it resembles the original. If you have a light tent I suggest you put it in there for nice even lighting, or in any room that has nice even reflective lighting. All you will really lose is some time. Just take several exposures with each lens at various settings. I like to go towards the underexposed side a bit myself to pull out colors, but then I shoot with a Nikon, and they like the under side more.

6 years 8 months ago #537368 by garyrhook
Your 100mm macro would be just fine. A longer focal length removes geometric distortion, and you'll only need to be several feet away. Or a few. The trick would be getting the axis of the lens a perpendicular as possible to the well-mounted media. 

Anecdote: I took photos of LP covers (after digitizing old albums that were never converted) and I used a tripod, laid the cover on the floor, put the tripod over the jacket and pointed the camera as straight down as I could. Figured I'd fine tune and correct in Photoshop.

You'll probably still have to do some work in PS before repro. Be sure to get specifics on resolution and file format. I wouldn't let them give you a JPG.

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537378 by Finn
Gary, good idea.  But how did you work around the head on glare/reflection?  Or did you not need to use any additional lighting? 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537423 by Vahrenkamp
If you have decent ambient light, it should be fine.  Or a ring light

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537457 by stuartsbarbie
Thanks Gary, that's kind of where I thought I might go with it.  I will probably have it done for the $75, but try it myself anyway just for the learning op.

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537488 by Jessa Layton
Good move, $75 isn't a bad deal when you factor in having to light it yourself, getting other factors dialed in to get a clean digital copy.  

BTW welcome back

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537513 by effron
Use all you have and pick the best...it is digital.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537554 by garyrhook

Finn wrote: Gary, good idea.  But how did you work around the head on glare/reflection?  Or did you not need to use any additional lighting? 

You manage the light. If artificial, at an angle, or better, two lights, one on each side. Which is what I did for some watercolors. They needed some texture to show up.

The LP covers I used window light only, and a long enough shutter time for a decent exposure.

I don't think there's a single answer here, but diffusion, angle, and number all matter. Don't forget reflectors, too, and gobos.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024