Develop your film in your home?

6 years 7 months ago #541423 by icepics
Fine, don't shoot or develop film then... :silly:
I don't know if I'd enjoy it either if I'd had to do it as a job for years. Or maybe I'd have looked for another job. Like a lot of things, it isn't for everybody.

Sharon
Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541444 by McBeth Photography
I shoot film almost exclusively now and develop my own work happily. I think that it is the best fit for me. I am not the guy to chime in and say that it isn't work or a bit of a mess from time to time, I see that as part of the experience. :)  

I do have a couple specific reasons for doing film and the biggest one is the detail retained in the highlights. I included a photo of a baseball player that I got a quick snap of on a sunny day while he was in deep shade. If I had shot that with my digital camera, it would have blown the highlights and left me zero detail to work with.

Secondly, when you process your own work, the cost of the photography hobby goes way down and puts me in a budget range that keeps my financial officer (my wife) very happy, lol.....digital photography is much more expensive than film, mainly because the cameras can be easily found at reasonable prices and if you want an upgrade you just buy better film, lol. You can still buy film in the 100 foot roll and roll your own cassettes too adding a further savings. 

The biggest and most important reason is because I really really enjoy the craft of film photography and darkroom printing. I spend way too much time on the computer, I do not miss the hours of editing digital photos. I still use Lightroom but I have acquired a less is more editing approach that really works for me. In the end, that is what really what hobbies are all about...doing something that YOU enjoy, not something that everyone tells you to enjoy.

It is what it is.
Attachments:
6 years 7 months ago #541445 by McBeth Photography
And then there is medium format which offers even more detail! Three from my Rolleiflex MX-EVS...

It is what it is.
Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024