Bad to leave photos on memory card for long time?

6 years 6 months ago #539984 by Luca
I have a 64GB memory card, and have noticed that I've had a collection of photos growing on it for the last month and half.  Is this OK to continue, or will it possibly mess up things?

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #539991 by effron
Not bad, but you're risking the photos until they are backed up. I accidentally formatted a card with some unsaved shots a few years ago and soon got in the habit of downloading to computer the first chance I got.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #540048 by Amy Porter
I always unload all my photos, I don't want to misplace card or something else happen. 

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #540055 by garyrhook
At the risk of addressing your question....

No, there's no risk of the data. The card is memory, and it's going to hold zeroes or ones no matter what. You might "erase" the card but that doesn't mean any of the data gets overwritten. They're just electrons.

The ability of the card to hold data without error applies to empty space on the card as much as it does to the image files. So the above advice of backing up the files (i.e. making a copy somewhere else) is just good practice. Not because "it could possibly mess up things" but because the card in general could go bad. But no, the files just sitting there are not going to create a problem.

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #540069 by Kenya See
So I understand why you could have been asking the question.   Is it easier for the camera to store photos on an empty formatted card?  Less room for error?  Possible.  If you have all the photos on the card and keep adding to it, that means you can't be formatting the card after each use.  Not sure what effect that may have over time.  Good question.  

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #540120 by Moe
I use /treat my memory cards as temp storage, and computer hard drive as more permanent..

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #540139 by effron
Another thought, to the op, are you deleting shots from the card in camera? I ask because its not recommended. When you do there are gaps in the file stack and from what I've read that can cause problems. I do all my culling on the computer....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #540190 by Baydream
I upload to my laptop and do not format the cars until I back them up to an external drive. That way I know I always have two copies. I carry two cameras with 32GB cards and have two 32GB cards in my bag. 

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #540197 by Kenta
I wouldn't, mainly because I would be scare of them getting corrupt or me losing the card.  

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #540250 by Bill Murphy
I always remove all photos after each use, then format card. 

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #540442 by Joves
I pretty much agree on what has been said on them being pretty much safe, except when human error intervenes. I upload to the computer, and then back up on a removable drive that is stored in a fireproof safe rated for electronics. Now I have been thinking though that as cheap as CF cards are now with high capacity, that I may just do back ups on CF cards to toss in the safe. I see flash media of the cards as more forever than hard drives. 

6 years 6 months ago #540462 by effron
Yeah, I've been testing thumb drives. They're getting big and quite inexpensive. I've used them for a third backup on processed photos and seem to be working well....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #540475 by Chris Briggs
+1
+1
AND
+1

Remove all photos and put on your computer.  Save an accident from having.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024