Will digital lens work on a film camera?

6 years 7 months ago #541263 by Luca
I'm shopping for a film camera and wondering if my digital lenses will work on the film camera.  Obviously in manual.  Will it work? 

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541264 by Shadowfixer1
Doesn't matter as long as it is the correct mount. There is no such thing as film or digital lenses. They are one and the same.
6 years 7 months ago #541306 by John Landolfi
You can probably get most to work in Aperture Priority, The problem will be to adjust aperture if you try to use a G lens.

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541330 by effron
My modern lenses work quite well on my F100, not so much my older bodies....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541437 by Screamin Scott
They should work as long as the lenses have an aperture ring to control the aperture. We really need to know which lenses & what camera though.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541447 by McBeth Photography
if it isn't a crop sensor lens (DX) you should be fine with the bodies mentioned like the F100. 

It is what it is.
6 years 7 months ago #541520 by Kelly Lambert
Yep, you'll be good with manual functions

Nikon D700: 50mm, 14-24mm, 85mm, 105mm 70-200mm, 150-500mm (Sigma), SB-900
Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541563 by Paris Gal
Didn't know that, so the glass goes both ways. 

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541601 by Gene.Culley
Yes, like a glove

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541714 by Moe
That's funny, I had no idea.  I thought old was good with new, But I didn't know new could be used on old. 

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541725 by effron

Paris Gal wrote: Didn't know that, so the glass goes both ways. 

As long as you don't mind manual functions, which sometimes is the case. Nikon's backward compatibility is a great feature.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541789 by garyrhook

McBeth Photography wrote: if it isn't a crop sensor lens (DX) you should be fine with the bodies mentioned like the F100. 

Irrelevant. The sensor size has nothing to do with the lens mount and function.

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541793 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote:

McBeth Photography wrote: if it isn't a crop sensor lens (DX) you should be fine with the bodies mentioned like the F100. 

Far from irrelevant. While it will function, the image circle for a DX lens will not cover the area of the frame so you would have a black circle around the center of the image. A film camera definitely needs a lens that is not a DX lens even though technically it would work.
6 years 7 months ago #541794 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

Far from irrelevant. While it will function, the image circle for a DX lens will not cover the area of the frame so you would have a black circle around the center of the image. A film camera definitely needs a lens that is not a DX lens even though technically it would work.

It's irrelevant to the question that was asked. Which was, will it work? Not "will vignetting be a problem if I use a lens designed for a DX (or smaller) sensor?"

So, yes, of course the above is accurate. But seeing as how I'm not a big fan of conflation, I prefer to separate my threads of discussion based on subject/question and focused responses.

Perhaps a better original question might have been, "will I run into any problems, and if so, what kind, if I try to use modern lenses on an older film SLR camera?" But that wasn't what happened.

I find redirection/misdirection annoying. Mea culpa.

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #541805 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

It's irrelevant to the question that was asked. Which was, will it work? Not "will vignetting be a problem if I use a lens designed for a DX (or smaller) sensor?"

So, yes, of course the above is accurate. But seeing as how I'm not a big fan of conflation, I prefer to separate my threads of discussion based on subject/question and focused responses.

Perhaps a better original question might have been, "will I run into any problems, and if so, what kind, if I try to use modern lenses on an older film SLR camera?" But that wasn't what happened.

I find redirection/misdirection annoying. Mea culpa.

True, but even that was not the question asked. The question was "will digital lenses" (which there is no such thing) work on film cameras. I'm still puzzled why anyone would think of lenses in terms of digital vs. film. A lens is a lens. The mount, coverage and things like autofocus and aperture control is all that matters. If the lens is a screw dive autofocus, does the body have that capability. Can the body handle exposure for a lens that doesn't have an aperture ring? These are the relevant questions to ask. A lens is just glass. It doesn't know what it's projecting the image onto. Film, sensor or the back of a shoe box doesn't matter to the lens.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024