Will digital lens work on a film camera?

6 years 7 months ago #541810 by effron
Shadow is correct, however a DX lens IS a digital lens as it doesn't doesn't do well on a full frame 35mm film camera, and I've never heard of a crop filmer. It was designed for a specific DSLR. They do work, just not satisfactorily...

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #541812 by Shadowfixer1

effron wrote: Shadow is correct, however a DX lens IS a digital lens as it doesn't doesn't do well on a full frame 35mm film camera, and I've never heard of a crop filmer. It was designed for a specific DSLR. They do work, just not satisfactorily...

I guess in that way you could consider a DX lens as a "digital" lens. I just never thought of it in terms of digital vs. film. It was always full frame vs. crop to me. Thanks for pointing that out.
6 years 7 months ago #541813 by effron
I never actually thought of it either until I read your's and Gary's posts.....I reasoned, the DX lenses had one designed use.....(duh):S

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541814 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: True, but even that was not the question asked. The question was "will digital lenses" (which there is no such thing) work on film cameras. I'm still puzzled why anyone would think of lenses in terms of digital vs. film. A lens is a lens. The mount, coverage and things like autofocus and aperture control is all that matters. If the lens is a screw dive autofocus, does the body have that capability. Can the body handle exposure for a lens that doesn't have an aperture ring? These are the relevant questions to ask. A lens is just glass. It doesn't know what it's projecting the image onto. Film, sensor or the back of a shoe box doesn't matter to the lens.

You are, of course, accurate. I allowed for interpretation of the term "digital" to mean "lenses that you can acquire with modern DSLR cameras." Thus my focus on the very items you mention, and not size of the rendered image in-camera.

As for "why anyone would think of lenses in terms of digital.." it's similar to "HD antennas". Ain't no such thing. (Apologies for not using the correct plural of antenna.)

I firmly believe that if you want good answers, you have to ask good questions. Turns out that's harder than it first appears.

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541884 by Gammill
I wouldn't know from hands on experience so can on nod my head in approval of what makes sense here.  Now in terms of digital statements.  Let's flip this to someone asking about manual lens from a film camera, the statement works there.  So why not the other way around? 

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago #541889 by Shadowfixer1

Gammill wrote: I wouldn't know from hands on experience so can on nod my head in approval of what makes sense here.  Now in terms of digital statements.  Let's flip this to someone asking about manual lens from a film camera, the statement works there.  So why not the other way around? 

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Manual vs. what? Manual lenses are still being sold today and many people use and some prefer them. The point is lenses have nothing to do with being digital or film. While it's true that DX or APSC specific lenses aren't ideal for film, they still would work. You just won't have a complete image with them. As long as you can mount a lens to a camera, it will work to some extent. The compatibility issues arise from aperture control, vibration control, and autofocus. I has nothing to do with digital or film. 
6 years 7 months ago #542052 by MYoung
Sure will

Photo Comments
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #542066 by Screamin Scott
The actual answer depends on what camera & what lenses.....There will be limitations, but what they will be depends on camera model

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024