Wide Angle Lens Suggestions

6 years 6 months ago #544265 by Carl Mendez
I am using a Nikon D750 and the current wide angle lens that I have right now is a 1.4 35mm Sigma Art but I am thinking of getting a new wide-angle lens. I like landscape and architectural a lot but sometimes I have to stitch my shots together because of my lens.
What is the best wide-angle lens for my camera? Any suggestion is welcome. Budget limit is $1000 (or I could a few more hundred if it's really good)

6 years 6 months ago #544303 by Casey T
Why not stick with Sigma, and go with their 24mm f/2.4 that you can pick up around $700 with Adorama for example.  

My Passion is being behind my camera and my family.
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #544305 by garyrhook
Define "best"?

I was able to hit Imaging USA last January (being in San Antonio, just down the road) and got to try out the Tamron 15-30 and something comparable from Sigma (a zoom). Didn't care for the Sigma super wide (whatever it was), nor their 14mm. Too much barrel distortion for me. The Tamron, on the other hand came out great, IMO. I thought the CA on the Tamron was less, too.

That said, Tamron runs their sale once a year, around the time of Imaging USA, and the knock $100 off that lens. It can be had for $800 used. This was my top wish list item. Until...

I just found a Nikon 17-35 f/2.8D on eBay for under $600. It's condition is awesome. Lists new for $2000, so I'm happy. Is it fantastic? I don't know yet; the DxOmark is kinda low. But it will likely suffice for what I do and how I work.

You can also consider a Nikon 16-35 f/4. I've used one and it also is very nice.

If you're doing astrophotography you might consider a manual Rokinon or similar. They and others are highly regarded for that sort of thing.

But the 24 won't get you where you want to be, IMO. Keep shopping.

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #544312 by John Landolfi
The Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 AF D is a bargain these days. Here's a link to one from Adorama:

www.adorama.com/us%20%20%20%20918454.htm...KEAQYAiABEgK3-fD_BwE

I use it, especially when travelling, and weight and space are considerations. Look at the reviews. Here's a link to a photo shot with it:
www.flickr.com/photos/perlucem/36569987012/in/dateposted/

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #544345 by Vahrenkamp
Those Rokinon lenses are surprisingly a great lens for the money.  My friend just picked up one and he's using on his Sony and I have to say, I'm impressed.  The build quality is good, it's sharp and priced very fairly.  Keep in mind, the all are manual lenses, no auto. 

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #544353 by effron
The Nikon 16-35 f/4 was mentioned and I concur, a very good lens. Also the 20 f/2.8 prime, but why not get the 20 f/1.8, also a great piece of glass. I could be wrong but Sigma may also make a 10-20 for full frame?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #544438 by Carl Mendez

Why not stick with Sigma, and go with their 24mm f/2.4 that you can pick up around $700 with Adorama for example.  

Hey Casey! I have already checked this out but I am still looking for more options. 

6 years 6 months ago #544439 by Carl Mendez

Define "best"?

I was able to hit Imaging USA last January (being in San Antonio, just down the road) and got to try out the Tamron 15-30 and something comparable from Sigma (a zoom). Didn't care for the Sigma super wide (whatever it was), nor their 14mm. Too much barrel distortion for me. The Tamron, on the other hand came out great, IMO. I thought the CA on the Tamron was less, too.

That said, Tamron runs their sale once a year, around the time of Imaging USA, and the knock $100 off that lens. It can be had for $800 used. This was my top wish list item. Until...

I just found a Nikon 17-35 f/2.8D on eBay for under $600. It's condition is awesome. Lists new for $2000, so I'm happy. Is it fantastic? I don't know yet; the DxOmark is kinda low. But it will likely suffice for what I do and how I work.

You can also consider a Nikon 16-35 f/4. I've used one and it also is very nice.

If you're doing astrophotography you might consider a manual Rokinon or similar. They and others are highly regarded for that sort of thing.

But the 24 won't get you where you want to be, IMO. Keep shopping.

Thanks for these options. I will visit some stores and see for myself. Thanks for this Gary!
By the way, what I mean with the best is:
- Just within my budget
- lens that I don't have to stitch photos
- Quality at its best

6 years 6 months ago #544441 by Carl Mendez

The Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 AF D is a bargain these days. Here's a link to one from Adorama:

www.adorama.com/us%20%20%20%20918454.htm...KEAQYAiABEgK3-fD_BwE

I use it, especially when travelling, and weight and space are considerations. Look at the reviews. Here's a link to a photo shot with it:
www.flickr.com/photos/perlucem/36569987012/in/dateposted/

Just checked the links you gave me. It is very promising. I will check this out for sure.

6 years 6 months ago #544442 by Carl Mendez

Those Rokinon lenses are surprisingly a great lens for the money.  My friend just picked up one and he's using on his Sony and I have to say, I'm impressed.  The build quality is good, it's sharp and priced very fairly.  Keep in mind, the all are manual lenses, no auto. 

I haven't tried it before but will consider this! Thanks Vahr! 

6 years 6 months ago #544443 by Carl Mendez

The Nikon 16-35 f/4 was mentioned and I concur, a very good lens. Also the 20 f/2.8 prime, but why not get the 20 f/1.8, also a great piece of glass. I could be wrong but Sigma may also make a 10-20 for full frame?

I would like to try Nikon 16-35 f/4. This is so far the best recommendations I have. Thanks for this Effron. 

6 years 6 months ago #544475 by garyrhook

Carl Mendez wrote: By the way, what I mean with the best is:
- Just within my budget
- lens that I don't have to stitch photos
- Quality at its best

Right. And the only one of those that is fixed is your budget. The others are moving targets.

Since you don't specify how much stitching you're doing now, it's hard to know what focal length is going to satisfy you. But 16 or 17 mm should give you a fairly wide field of view. At a certain point it wouldn't matter which lens you had, you'd have to stitch (e.g. a 12" x 36" print, or 1x3 aspect ratio)

IMO, for landscapes, any of the mentioned lenses is a good option.

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #544480 by Screamin Scott
Just remember that when using a wide-angle lens, distant objects become tiny. Best to include foreground interest as well

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 6 months ago #544501 by Shadowfixer1
I remember when I was a pup, that 24mm was considered a wide lens. Not that way these days.
6 years 6 months ago #544589 by Carl Mendez

IMO, for landscapes, any of the mentioned lenses is a good option.

Thanks for this Gary! This thread has been very helpful to me. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024