Polaroid SX-70 worth to keep?

3 years 4 months ago #545283 by Glen Martin
I just found an old Polaroid SX-70 in my garage.  I think this was my fathers camera.  Kind of cool, anyone know if these cameras are worth anything today?  Where can I get film for this?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 4 months ago #545300 by icepics
I love using my SX-70, it's a joy to shoot with. They do have some value compared to the more common plastic Polaroid cameras, or older vintage ones that used roll film, etc.

The Impossible Project (TIP) was started some years ago when a company started by Florian Kaps bought a Polaroid factory in the Netherlands, hired many of their employees, and started from scratch to manufacture film for the Polaroid cameras that use what's called integral film. They didn't have the patents or formula for Polaroid film so had to re-invent it.

The company was recently bought by the owner of the Polaroid brand so the film is now being manufactured as Polaroid. You might still find Impossible film at Adorama or B&H, Samy's, and Midwest Camera Exchange.

Instead of 10 there are only 8 exposures with current film, so when the counter gets to 4,3... you're really down to 2,1... when the counter gets to 2 you're really at 0. You can put in an empty film pack cartridge to test if the camera fires since that contains the battery. (That may not work if you would try it with an old one and the battery's dead.)

This film done in 1970 by designer Charles Eames and his wife Ray shows how to use the SX-70 and how it works.
http:www.youtu.be/lo_1pyQ7xvc

Sharon
Photo Comments

3 years 4 months ago #545326 by ThatNikonGuy
You sure about that?  I thought Oskar Smolokowski from Poland owns the Impossible Mission?

Photo Comments

3 years 4 months ago #545369 by Joe Photo Daddy
I don't have this Polaroid camera, but I do have a couple slightly newer model up in storage.  These are fun cameras even to this day.  Check on Amazon and B&H for the film.  You should have no troubles finding film.  

3 years 4 months ago #545455 by icepics
Oskar was the CEO of The Impossible Project. An ownership group including his dad bought it as well as the Polaroid name. The Impossible Project site and the film being manufactured and sold on their website was renamed Polaroid with Oskar as CEO. The change in product packaging etc. just happened in September.

Sharon
Photo Comments

3 years 4 months ago #545485 by Richard K Photography
So wait is Oskar still running the show?  Or did they sell it off?  I'm lost. 

Photo Comments

3 years 4 months ago #545752 by icepics
Oskar's dad and a bunch of investors bought the company (The Impossible Project). Oskar is still CEO. He was CEO when it was Impossible before his dad bought it.

His father also had bought the Polaroid name (and IP, whatever that may include) so The Impossible Project film was rebranded as Polaroid.

The Impossible site is called Polaroid Originals. I think the main Polaroid site has the film along with other products.

Sharon
Photo Comments

3 years 4 months ago #545801 by Garbo
Oh yeah, and you'll have fun taking photos with it!  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

3 years 4 months ago #545842 by Ben Vanderbilt
Used mine last summer and it was a blast that the whole family enjoyed.  Yeah, classics you keep.  

Photo Comments

3 years 4 months ago #546002 by Glen Martin
Hey thanks everyone.  Good stuff.  Also good to see this old brand is still going strong.  After posting this question, reading the messages I've gotten, and some additional research, there is a lot more people still holding onto these cameras!  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony ZV-1 review, learn all about its specs, features, build and handling, video performance, price, and more.

Feb 24, 2021

The Ricoh GR III is a little-known compact camera that might be just the ticket for you if you want a small, portable, and easy-to-use camera.

Feb 19, 2021

The Sony a7S III is a video-first full frame camera with a hefty price tag. Is it worth the price of admission? Get all the details in this Sony a7S III review.

Feb 18, 2021

In this Nikon Z7 II review learn how this new camera is similar to the original Z7 and how it makes improvements upon the original.

Feb 16, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this Sony ZV-1 review, learn all about its specs, features, build and handling, video performance, price, and more.

Feb 24, 2021

If you want to try your hand at abstract photography, use these abstract photography ideas for a source of inspiration and creativity.

Feb 24, 2021

Which monitor panel types should you invest in? In this monitor buying guide, learn a few tips for getting the best monitor for photo editing.

Feb 23, 2021

Marketing for photography businesses can take up a ton of time, so you want to do it right and do so without taking up your entire day. Use these beginner marketing tips to help point you in the right direction.

Feb 23, 2021

If a photography tripod is too cumbersome for you, you can learn how to stabilize a camera with any number of tripod substitutes.

Feb 22, 2021

Use this real estate photography gear list to learn about some of the most critical pieces of kit you need to take the highest-quality real estate photos.

Feb 22, 2021

If you aren't sure how to get feedback from clients, check out these simple solutions for your photography business.

Feb 19, 2021

The Ricoh GR III is a little-known compact camera that might be just the ticket for you if you want a small, portable, and easy-to-use camera.

Feb 19, 2021