Thinking about switching from Nikon to Canon

6 years 5 months ago #550331 by Cliff
What did it?  A friend of mine has a Canon 1Dx and that camera I got to use all day today.  WOW.  The gears are spinning!

Sorry Nikon, my days may be limited.  

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #550332 by garyrhook
Have you tried a D4 or D5? If you're going to lust over a $5200+ camera, you might make an apples to apples comparison. Keep in mind you're not just changing bodies, your getting new lenses, too.

Just sayin'.

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #550341 by Hoss
:agree:   the D5 get's high reviews, so might be good to try that camera out before you jump brands. 

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #550346 by Bryston3bsst

Cliff wrote: Sorry Nikon, my days may be limited.  

I see this very statement on my Canon forum.........'Sorry Canon, my days may be limited'.

The 1Dx is a nice piece. That and a couple of L lenses.......10 or 11 grand should get you started, be a really nice kit.

I have been shooting Canon for many years, I used to shoot Nikon film cameras. If your skill set has evolved to the point where your D300 is now holding you back, then you should look into new hardware. The 1Dx would be quite a step up and if that change is something that fits your budget then I would highly recommend it.

However, if money is a consideration, there are a number of less expensive steps within Nikon that you could take. Canon also has some great choices other than the very top of their line.

Most importantly........after you make this change, are you going to be a better photographer?

It's not the camera that takes a great picture.

6 years 5 months ago #550349 by effron
If you can't produce the photos you like with EITHER system, its not the system. However, if you think you'll be happier with Canon gear, go for it!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #550457 by Otto F
You should look at Nikon's top cameras as suggested.  Grass might not be greener as you thought.  

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #550484 by Ian Stone
Sorry to be the echo, but you really need to try some other Nikon bodies.  Heck, even the D850. 

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #550485 by PhotoViking
With so much money involved (body + lenses) I would definitely think of and try a few other options  ( not just Canon and Nikon) before deciding. Lots of good equipment out there!

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #550640 by rdubreuil
If one was moving from Canon to Nikon lenses would be an issue.  Moving from Nikon to Canon one can buy adapters to mount Nikon glass on a Canon body, not the other way around.

6 years 5 months ago #550644 by Bryston3bsst
I've never been a big fan of adapting anything if I can avoid it.

I just looked at this idea of adapting Nikon lenses to a Canon camera and it seems it can be done but at a high cost. How much of this is fact I don't know as I'm not familiar with Nikon equipment. But if any of these are fact I would not be doing this.
  1. Autofocus will not work.
  2. Vibration Reduction (VR) and automatic Aperture control will not work.
  3. Manual focus can be tricky when there is not enough ambient light. You might
    need to open up the aperture, acquire focus and then stop the lens down
    to a desired aperture.
  4. Unless you buy a chipped adapter, there will be no focus confirmation either.
  5. Unless you buy a chipped programmable adapter, there will be no lens-relevant EXIF information either.
  6. Metering will work, but it might be a little off in some cases.
  7. If you do not want to constantly swap the adapter between lenses, it might
    be best to get an adapter for each lens, which can get costly.
  8. It is best to use lenses with aperture rings.
  9. When using “G” type Nikkor lenses, it is impossible to pick a certain
    aperture except for maximum and minimum. The lever does not have a clear
    indication of a specific aperture, so you will often have to guess what
    it is based on the camera meter.
  10. You might need to trim or remove the weather sealing rubber gasket on your “G” lens for the adapter to function smoothly.

6 years 5 months ago #550684 by garyrhook

rdubreuil wrote: If one was moving from Canon to Nikon lenses would be an issue.  Moving from Nikon to Canon one can buy adapters to mount Nikon glass on a Canon body, not the other way around.

+1 on everything that was said above. If you want manual lenses, you can find older ones for a lot less money.

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #550755 by Garbo
Yeah, it would have to be a crazy camera to cause me to jump ship and have to re-invest into all my gear.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #550790 by Gene.Culley
You would never find me switching brands.  To much headache and cost.  

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #550859 by Tim Dordeck
Why?  Did you come close to mastering what you had?  That switch will be pricey and you likely won't recover your original investment. 

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #550936 by Joves
All I can say is better you than me.
My sister has one of those that I played with, and was not all that impressed. That is mostly due to trying to change settings on the fly while looking through the viewfinder. Now granted that is most likely due to not being used to it, but I did not find the placement of buttons as good. You have the D300 as I have, which is still a very capable image producer. It is almost 10 years old, so yes I may look to the 8xx series for an upgrade eventually. Also do you have a grip for your D300? I have one, and use it rarely, but love it when I use it. I just do not love the brick aspect of the body with a grip, I like the idea that I can have a smaller body most of the time.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024