Would you need permission from store to take photos like these?

6 years 5 months ago #552609 by Carry
Love this idea, and curious if photographer would have needed to get permission first?   jennamartinphotoblog.com/2017/11/19/lowes-photoshoot/

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #552610 by Bryston3bsst
I'm sure you would. Plus, the images in your link all look to me like they were shot when the store was not open. I don't see another person in any of them.

Or.....just go in there and start setting up and see how far you get........I suspect you won't last long before you're told to leave.

I always wanted to do a fetish shoot in a medical office. You can imagine trying to get permission to do that. Fortunately my friend has set up a very complete medical exam room in her studio, so.......that was a heck of a lot of fun.  ;)

6 years 5 months ago #552617 by garyrhook
<usa>
It's really simple: public or private? That's not public property, so you're gonna need permission. This would be true in any retail establishment, office building, etc. And a lot of government buildings disallow photography (as if, with the ubiquitousness of cellphones... but whatever).

So, ask. It can't hurt, and the worst is a "no" response, right?
</usa>

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #552633 by ThatNikonGuy
Yeah, I'd bet permission was needed for this one. 

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #552636 by effron
I would have sought permission....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #552720 by ShutterPal
So we have established, ask first.  Not everyone would have thought to ask.  Now what would have happened if this photographer DIDN'T ask for permission and received all the recognition as they have? 

If the coverage has been all news vs commercial in purpose, would the photographer have a target on their back from Lowes legal team?

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #552723 by garyrhook

ShutterPal wrote: So we have established, ask first.  Not everyone would have thought to ask.  Now what would have happened if this photographer DIDN'T ask for permission and received all the recognition as they have? 

If the coverage has been all news vs commercial in purpose, would the photographer have a target on their back from Lowes legal team?

I'm not sure how the kind of photography is relevant. It's still private property.

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #552772 by Ruby Grace

garyrhook wrote:

ShutterPal wrote: So we have established, ask first.  Not everyone would have thought to ask.  Now what would have happened if this photographer DIDN'T ask for permission and received all the recognition as they have? 

I'm not sure how the kind of photography is relevant. It's still private property.

:agree:  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #552774 by Screamin Scott
As Gary said, you need permission on private property. I have shot images of the security setup at the old Korvette stores years ago. I worked for them at the time (in the photo dept at that). Years later I was out in front of an Abercrombie store in the mall & an employee came out to tell me photography of their exterior was not permitted. Funny thing was, I wasn't shooting...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #552776 by sleeper54
"Of course if none of this was allowed we would’ve left, but as soon as we walked in an employee asked if they could help us and I asked, “We were just going to take a few photos, is that okay?” He replied, “Of course!"

Sounds like they had permission.

...tom...

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #552788 by icepics
There's a difference between taking photos and how someone intends to use the photos.

A store employee may have given permission to take photos but that doesn't mean permission was given to use the photos for anything other than personal use. For that I imagine it might be necessary to check with a manager or corporate office and get it in writing rather than just a verbal OK from an employee.

Seems like it would be better to check ahead of time before taking in a model/friend rather than assume it's OK to go into a retail business and do a photo shoot.

If this was done just for a blog post I think that's considered editorial use but obviously this was not for a newspaper, local TV station, or other media outlet. Even for editorial use I think permission would be necessary because it's the store's property.

I don't know if local news reporters get permission to do a story in a store or not. For a feature, maybe; for a breaking news story, maybe not (if an incident or emergency situation was happening). It might depend on the circumstances for a news crew to go in beyond the parking lot and it seems like local police or other authorities decide how close anyone can get.

Usually for editorial use a release may not be needed (but could be requested). If it was a professional photographer this would basically be conducting business on their property (commercial use) and written permission/property releases would probably be needed.

Sharon
Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #552789 by Screamin Scott
I doubt that any regular store employee would be authorized to OK such images but as has been said, the usage would dictate whether or not they would be permitted. If the stores legal team is advised of any commercial use I know they would get involved

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #552840 by Robert Chen

Screamin Scott wrote: I doubt that any regular store employee would be authorized to OK such images but as has been said, the usage would dictate whether or not they would be permitted. If the stores legal team is advised of any commercial use I know they would get involved

:agree:   the store employee could care less about what you are doing, as long as it didn't interfere with them or their work. 

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #552961 by Kenta
Yes for commercial use

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #553089 by Fitch
Looks like you got your answer, nice work.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024