Getting full frame image quality from a smartphones camera

6 years 4 months ago #552850 by Moossmann
My iPhone X just arrived this week and I'm a little surprised with the camera. Actually I'm loving this thing.  I've noticed a few bugs, however just focusing on the camera, it's pretty slick for something so small.  

However to get back on topic, I was just thinking about how much the cameras have advanced in the last 10 years in our phones we carry around. 

So the simple question here, is if you believe we'll get to full frame quality images in the next 5 years from a smart phone?  

The camera industry kind of reminds me of David and Goliath.  Apple and Samsung (Davids in the camera industry) have found a unconventional way to suck market share from every camera manufacture (Goliaths).  

I mean can you imagine a iPhone taking full frame RAW images?  How cool would that be?!

Now that would be a serious blow to the camera manufactures. 

Actually has Nikon or Canon ever considered jumping into the smartphone industry as a way to retain the point and shoot market?  Sony did.  

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #552896 by effron
I'd expect maybe Canon to get into the phone market, not the much smaller Nikon....Also, I don't expect the phones to replace DSLRs anytime soon....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #552936 by garyrhook

Moossmann wrote: So the simple question here, is if you believe we'll get to full frame quality images in the next 5 years from a smart phone?

I mean can you imagine a iPhone taking full frame RAW images?  How cool would that be?!

Um, no. Not gonna happen.

Most mobile phones can take a decent photo when there's plenty of light. That's not in dispute.

What they can't do is handle difficult situations. Like low light. Fast moving subjects. Closeups of birds in flight. You can only accomplish so much with a limited number of photons.

The sensor in a phone is tiny. You do understand that a full frame sensor is literally over an inch wide, right? You can't stick something that large into a device the size of a phone. And therefore you'll never get the same characteristics from a phone that you will from, e.g., a DSLR. I won't discuss the circle of confusion nor depth of field or all the math involved that makes your suggestion impossible.

Oh, and backgrounds blurred by software look like hell are laughable.

I'll stick to my real camera, thankyouverymuch.

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #553131 by Tsoto
How large can you print a photo from an iPhone 6?  

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #553328 by KenMan
I would guess, 24" wide by 16" tall before you start getting fuzzy. 

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #553490 by Frisco
Yeah wouldn't that be nice.  Don't see this happening anytime soon.  

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #553630 by Joves

garyrhook wrote:

Moossmann wrote: So the simple question here, is if you believe we'll get to full frame quality images in the next 5 years from a smart phone?

Um, no. Not gonna happen.

Most mobile phones can take a decent photo when there's plenty of light. That's not in dispute.

What they can't do is handle difficult situations. Like low light. Fast moving subjects. Closeups of birds in flight. You can only accomplish so much with a limited number of photons.

The sensor in a phone is tiny. You do understand that a full frame sensor is literally over an inch wide, right? You can't stick something that large into a device the size of a phone. And therefore you'll never get the same characteristics from a phone that you will from, e.g., a DSLR. I won't discuss the circle of confusion nor depth of field or all the math involved that makes your suggestion impossible.

Oh, and backgrounds blurred by software look like hell are laughable.

I'll stick to my real camera, thankyouverymuch.

:agree:
Yeah pretty much. Also yes the phones are getting better, and guess what so are the cameras themselves. The only part of the market this has pretty much affected is the P&S market, and the amateur I want a Dslr casual, but don't need one really user. This is where the majority of the losses have been for the big companies. No matter how good the iClowns say their cameras are, they will never equal a FF photo taken with good glass, and competent photographer.

6 years 3 months ago #553658 by Ontherocks
All ships rise, in high tides  

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #553822 by garyrhook

Joves wrote: The only part of the market this has pretty much affected is the P&S market, and the amateur I want a Dslr casual, but don't need one really user.

Sadly, I think P&S cameras are more flexible than phones, and produce better results in a wider range of conditions. But that doesn't really matter any longer.

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #553927 by Kenya See
Yeah, not happening for some time

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024