What's the single one thing you did, that improved your photography?

2 years 5 months ago #558691 by Benny13
With all the threads about New Years resolutions.  I'm sure over the years, some of you veterans have had those break through moments.  The ones where you did something different and it caused your photography to improve.  

I'd be misleading, if I wasn't wanting to find a short cut to improving mine.  So of course, like many today, looking at ways of making 2018 a better year.  Not that I'm disappointed with 2017.  I just want to find ways to improve this year, make it better than last year.  Find a way to step forward, vs backwards or sideways.   

So if you don't mind me asking what is the single thing you did, that ultimately improved your photography over time?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 5 months ago #558696 by Scotty
Shot with other photographers.    I learned so much about composition and editing by asking them everything I could.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #558707 by effron
Got new gear....(just joking)....Actually, trying something new more often improved my photography, I'll also restart another 365 and I'm going to begin printing again, 2017 was a slow year for me.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 years 5 months ago #558713 by Amy Porter

Scotty wrote: Shot with other photographers.    I learned so much about composition and editing by asking them everything I could.

:agree:   same here.  The interaction with other photographers and listening to what they are doing, or thought process of a shot is gold.  

Photo Comments

2 years 5 months ago #558725 by Kid Prodigy
Surround myself with better photographers 

Canon EOS 7D|Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM |
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM |
(2) Canon Speedlite 480EX II

Photo Comments

2 years 5 months ago #558728 by icepics
I don't know if there was any one thing, I just remember at some point realizing I was going to do 'something' with my photography; I just didn't know yet what it would be. Years later I had an opportunity that got me into shooting sports, hockey in particular for a local team (which isn't anything I'd planned on) and had the time of my life. I think I had the skills, and was ready and able to do it without any hesitation. My only concern the first time doing a pregame ceremony was - please don't let me fall on my a&% on the ice in front of thousands of people! lol Luckily that never happened (because for on ice ceremonies, the dignitaries walk on carpet, but not the photographer!).

I think it takes loving it enough to keep at it over the long haul - practicing and enjoying it so much that you love to go out with your camera and keep working at it. I don't think that there is a shortcut. I think it takes time to get good at something.

Sharon
Photo Comments

2 years 5 months ago #558730 by Shadowfixer1
Joined a couple of camera clubs and began entering competitions. 

2 years 5 months ago #558758 by Roman Omell
Apprentice under local famous photographer 

Photo Comments

2 years 5 months ago #558822 by Bryston3bsst
Read, experiment, practice, practice, practice.

There are no shortcuts.

2 years 5 months ago #558879 by Ruby Grace
As cliche as it sounds, the #1 thing that improved my photography was - practice!  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments

2 years 5 months ago #558887 by KCook
Made the switch to a good RAW developer.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

2 years 4 months ago #559062 by Ted Baker
Learned post processing.  This helped me take riskier photos, knowing if something wasn't perfect, I could have a 2nd shot at the shot in post. 

Photo Comments

2 years 4 months ago #559130 by Peter Nunez
Got the right attitude and became focused on becoming the best I could be. 

Photo Comments

2 years 4 months ago #559131 by Scotty

KCook wrote: Made the switch to a good RAW developer.

Kelly

My man!:cheers:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

2 years 4 months ago #559198 by KCook

Scotty wrote:

KCook wrote: Made the switch to a good RAW developer.

Kelly

My man!:cheers:

The RAW developer that came with my old Sony A200 was dreadful.  Could not get my RAW results to look any better than JPG, so actually gave up on RAW completely for over a year.

Kelly
(now ACDSee guy)

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this ball head buying guide, learn about the specs and features of some of the top ball heads of 2020.

Jun 01, 2020

There are many different benefits of lens filters for photography. You can control exposure. You can also control glare. Get the scoop on other benefits in this guide.

Jun 01, 2020

There are many reasons why you should print on metal, including the durability and uniqueness of metal prints, as well as all the options you have for customizing your print.

May 29, 2020

Razer has unleashed the 2020 version of their Blade 15 Studio, and it is an incredible machine with the power visual creatives need.

May 29, 2020

To learn nude photography - particularly artistic nude photography - requires you to commit yourself to artistic thinking and the process of taking a well thought out image.

May 29, 2020

Taking self-portraits requires the right gear and the right approach. Get critical portrait photography tips in this quick how-to guide.

May 28, 2020

Investing in right lights for YouTube video production is one of the best things you can do to improve the quality of your videos. Which right lights are right for you though? Find out in this buyer's guide!

May 28, 2020

Canvas or paper prints can be a nice addition to your home, but each one has distinct advantages and disadvantages that are helpful to know before you buy.

May 27, 2020