15% restocking fee with Adorama or B&H?

6 years 2 months ago #566582 by ArtWagner
I seem to recall reading that B&H will charge 15% restocking fee on a camera that you return if it has over 200 shots taken on it.   Does Adorama has same policy?  

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #566587 by Oscar Cohen
B&H does that.  Over 200 shots, if you are going to return something, there should only be a few shots on it if even that.  200 is more than plenty IMO. 

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #566592 by garyrhook
As well they should.

If you aren't sure, and you simply cannot get to a store to lay hands on a camera, rent one for a few days. It's well worth the expense to be sure the camera is the one for you.

N.B. I did this with a D810 for a 10 day trip. Cost me $200. At the end of the trip, as much as I enjoyed the camera, I know it wasn't the body for me. Well worth the experience.

Just in case anyone thinks I like to furnish opinions that I can't back up. :whistle:

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #566614 by effron
I used to read posts where a photographer would buy four or five of a model, cherry pick the "best" and return the others under the thirty day trial. The seller then had a few cameras they couldn't offer as new. The restocking charge is more than reasonable, and as usual a few ruined it for the rest. Of course that doesn't apply to a defect, a warranty return would be another matter.
I believe Adorama adopted the same policy a few years ago.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #566622 by HelenOster

ArtWagner wrote: I seem to recall reading that B&H will charge 15% restocking fee on a camera that you return if it has over 200 shots taken on it.   Does Adorama has same policy?  

No. At this time we have no rules except it must be returned in its original packaging, and comply with the terms & conditions, here:  [font=Arial Narrow, sans-serif] www.adorama.com/help/returnPolicy [/font]

Helen Oster
[email protected]

6 years 2 months ago #566660 by ArtWagner

HelenOster wrote:

ArtWagner wrote: I seem to recall reading that B&H will charge 15% restocking fee on a camera that you return if it has over 200 shots taken on it.   Does Adorama has same policy?  

No. At this time we have no rules except it must be returned in its original packaging, and comply with the terms & conditions, here:  [font=Arial Narrow, sans-serif] www.adorama.com/help/returnPolicy [/font]

So if a camera that I bought has a few shots taken on it, and I find that it doesn't feel right ergonomically, and is returned in original packaging would I get charged any sort of restocking fee?

Thank you

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #566665 by HelenOster

ArtWagner wrote:

HelenOster wrote:

So if a camera that I bought has a few shots taken on it, and I find that it doesn't feel right ergonomically, and is returned in original packaging would I get charged any sort of restocking fee?

Thank you

Provided you return it per the instructions here:  [font=Arial Narrow, sans-serif] www.adorama.com/help/returnPolicy [/font] no, you will not be charged any kind of restocking fee simply because it has a few shots on it.

Helen Oster
[email protected]

6 years 2 months ago #566691 by henryp

ArtWagner wrote: I seem to recall reading that B&H will charge 15% restocking fee on a camera that you return if it has over 200 shots taken on it.

Once upon a time we did, but we discontinued that policy several years ago.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
B&H Photo-Video

6 years 2 months ago #566724 by effron

henryp wrote:

ArtWagner wrote: I seem to recall reading that B&H will charge 15% restocking fee on a camera that you return if it has over 200 shots taken on it.

Yup, and it was because a few abused the policy. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #566734 by ArtWagner

henryp wrote:

So you don't charge restocking fee any more?  

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #566735 by henryp

ArtWagner wrote: So you don't charge restocking fee any more?  

Not based on a camera's shutter count. Our return policy .

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
B&H Photo-Video

6 years 2 months ago #566896 by Zach Mosher

effron wrote: I used to read posts where a photographer would buy four or five of a model, cherry pick the "best" and return the others under the thirty day trial. The seller then had a few cameras they couldn't offer as new. The restocking charge is more than reasonable, and as usual a few ruined it for the rest. Of course that doesn't apply to a defect, a warranty return would be another matter.
I believe Adorama adopted the same policy a few years ago.

WTH seriously?  Geez, if a few did this, that could get expensive for the retailers!  I'd be fuming.  

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #567042 by Kenya See
Not a bad rule to have in place when you consider that in mind.  

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #567056 by garyrhook
Best Buy used to have a liberal return policy, until the college students decided that it was okay to "buy" a laptop for a project, then return the laptop after using it for 3 weeks for school. They went with a 15% restocking fee, I believe. And so much for ethics.

I'll repeat: go to a camera store, and/or rent the candidate. Deal with the expense. You're already spending a lot of money.

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #567293 by James F
I would be ticked off if someone bought, used it and returned.  I'm sure there are people that would bounce from retailer to retailer.  Buy camera from B&H, keep for 30 days, return it.  Then buy the same camera from Adorama for 30 days, return it.  Then buy from Samy's... With all the retailers, someone could have a 'free' camera on loop.  

You  know there are people out there like that.   :evil:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024