Canon CR2 (RAW) preview in windows 10

6 years 1 month ago #570233 by James-Chang
Just wondering what people do that have windows 10 to preview CR2 (RAW) files. My goal is not to get a mac and be able to preview pictures before I open adobe. I think I read only windows 7 has a certain codec pack to be able to preview a raw file.

thank you.

6 years 1 month ago #571356 by James-Chang
Anyone? I guess most people use mac?

6 years 1 month ago #571396 by garyrhook
I think most people use an actual tool to preview their files, rather than File Explorer. I know I use LR, and have no interest in looking at my NEF files any other way (even though I have a codec for them).

Why don't you just use Bridge? It's about as simple, isn't it?

Further: older CR2 files are supported in Win 10. You must have a newer camera model (although you don't specify, and it matters). The base you can do is whine at MS for support, but change your paradigm and find another tool.

A web search for "Windows 10 codec for CR2 files" found lots of discussion about this issue. No resolution, just lots of really inane advice from Microsoft "experts".

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #571511 by effron
I agree with the above. I have the "codec" to view raw files in Windows explorer, but I don't bother, I open Bridge or Lightroom and they'll all display, too simple.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 4 weeks ago #573266 by James-Chang
Yes, I do have a "newer" one. I have a Canon t7i. When I used photoshop, to edit 1 picture, I had to import the picture first. But when choosing that picture, I wouldn't be able to see which picture exactly because I can't "preview" it. I'm super new when it comes to photoshop, but you are saying you can preview ALL these photos in photoshop?

6 years 4 weeks ago #573267 by garyrhook
Adobe Bridge, free to use. It gets updated somewhat often.

Photo Comments
6 years 4 weeks ago #573268 by James-Chang
Should I assume this software lets you preview within the adobe software? So for example, if I open adobe bridge, will i be able to open a picture folder within windows explorer so i can preview photos within a folder?

6 years 4 weeks ago #573352 by Baydream
I am able to open CR2 with "Photo", no problem.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
6 years 4 weeks ago #573429 by garyrhook

Baydream wrote: I am able to open CR2 with "Photo", no problem.

Um, a CR2 file from which camera? You do understand that they’re not all the same?

Photo Comments
6 years 4 weeks ago #573430 by garyrhook

James-Chang wrote: Should I assume this software lets you preview within the adobe software? So for example, if I open adobe bridge, will i be able to open a picture folder within windows explorer so i can preview photos within a folder?

i don’t think you understand. Unless Canon writes a codec for windows, you won’t get what you want. Gonna have to find a new paradigm.

Bridge is a browser. It will show you previews and invoke PS. It’s free. Install it and learn how it works. There won’t be a need for anything else.

Photo Comments
6 years 4 weeks ago #573586 by James-Chang
Yes, I apologize as I got into photography not too long ago. But from what I've read so far (not sure hence was wondering if yall could help) before windows 10, windows did have a codec pack for Canon raw files to preview. What I'm starting to think is since the Canon t7i is new, it has a new type of CR2 (raw) format? And that's why windows doesn't have this new "codec" pack yet available? But obviously my end goal is to use a reliable 3rd party software that intergrates with windows photo preview that isn't browser based but if that's is the only option, i have no choice.

6 years 4 weeks ago #573591 by garyrhook

James-Chang wrote: Yes, I apologize as I got into photography not too long ago. But from what I've read so far (not sure hence was wondering if yall could help) before windows 10, windows did have a codec pack for Canon raw files to preview. What I'm starting to think is since the Canon t7i is new, it has a new type of CR2 (raw) format? And that's why windows doesn't have this new "codec" pack yet available? But obviously my end goal is to use a reliable 3rd party software that intergrates with windows photo preview that isn't browser based but if that's is the only option, i have no choice.

Yep, trying to be helpful.

"CR2" means "Canon RAW file". Nothing more. The contents of this file can change, and does. So you can depend upon nothing being implied, other than it's a file from a Canon camera. When they introduce a new model, they almost invariably update the internals of that file with new stuff (even if it's just model-specific info like the name of the camera), which means a new codec is required to read it. Short answer: yes, it's a new format. Still a CR2.

Nikon does the exact same thing with NEF files.

If you do some reading on the web, you'll find that, yes, there was a codec pack for Win 7/8. Not for 10. And it wouldn't support a brand new camera anyways. And Microsoft isn't responsible for producing one; Canon is. So go complain to them. My guess is you'll never see it; it's probably not a priority for them.

Where does that leave you? In need of a new paradigm. One that doesn't expect to use File Explorer to look at images.

Now then: I used the term 'browser' in a generic sense. I didn't mean Firefox, or Chrome, or etc. I meant a tool to look at images. Nothing will integrate with Windows Photo preview.

Have you even tried to use Bridge? Have you give it a chance? Have you considered looking at an available tool to see if you can work with? Have you considered Lightroom? Or Photo Mechanic? or On1 RAW? Or Capture One? Most of these (if not all) have free trials available.

You're going to have to try something else, even if it's the software that came with your camera. I would encourage you to open up your mind to other possibilities and start looking at options. Because it's not clear you have any other choice.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 week ago #681669 by James H
I had the exact same problem and I later found out that this problem exists in newer Canon cameras. Installing the Raw Image Extension from the Microsoft store fixes the problem. Here's a great tutorial I found if you need step-by-step instructions:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024