Nikon D500 vs D4

5 years 11 months ago #579105 by paulinoleon
Thanks to everyone on their input. I ended up getting the D500 about 3 weeks ago, just in time for my trip to Thailand and China. I am very happy with this camera. One of the big reasons I went with the D500 vs the D750 was that I plan on using my D7100 as my back up camera and wanted to keep on the same system for both cameras. 

The one thing that is annoying me on the D500 though is the two different card slots. I didnt think it would be a big deal but the more that I think about it the more it does not make sense to me. Since I tend to shoot with one card as the primary and the second slot as the backup it really does not make sense to have one card slot XQD and the other SD, since the benefit of the faster card slot is lost since both are writing at the same time. Why give me a faster card slot that I can not take advantage of if I am writing to both the faster and slower at the same time?? I would rather just have 2 SD card slots and have them write at the same speed or give me two of the faster XQD slots so I can actually take advantage of them. Of course if you are writing only to one slot or doing RAW to the XQD and JPGs to the SD then that makes sense but I don't know many people who shoot like that. One of the big reasons to have 2 slots is to have a backup. 

But as far as all other aspects of the camera I am very happy with it and would easily recommend it. 

Attachments:
5 years 11 months ago #579140 by Eric A
Congrats on the new camera, looking forward to seeing more of your work!

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579147 by effron
Yeah, looks like a good choice. If I were to upgrade my crop camera today, the D500 would be the ticket....Have a good trip!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579163 by Colorado Mike
I would have picked the same, the D4 is a pig of a camera.  The D500 would be lighter and perfect for my needs over the D4.  

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579195 by Scotty

Colorado Mike wrote: I would have picked the same, the D4 is a pig of a camera.  The D500 would be lighter and perfect for my needs over the D4.  

D4 for me all the way unless you absolutely needed reach.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579319 by Oscar Cohen
Congrats on the new toy! 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024