Do you remember what your first camera was?

5 years 11 months ago #574972 by Alfonso Camil
I just got back from a photography meet up group and was amazed with some of these long time seasoned photographers who still remember what their first camera was from 20 to 30 years ago! 

Well, I'm a newbie, so I only have 1 camera to remember!  

ha ha ha

So, you remember what your first camera was? 

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #574974 by effron
A Kodak Brownie? ....It was well more than thirty years ago, closer to sixty.....
I still have it somewhere....
Edit...my first slr was a Nikkormat ftn, that was almost fifty years ago....:(

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #574980 by John Landolfi
Not counting the means by which I managed to get some photos early on, the first camera I actually bought was a Nikkorex 35, and it would surprise me if someone else had actually even heard of it. But it served well enough to "hook" me, and it was followed by a Nikkorex F with a 50mm f/2 Nikkor. I have kept that lens as a memento... And a real museum piece: a 90mm lens which was originally designed for the rangefinder cameras., and had been adapted by Nikon for use with the NikonF, which initially had very few lenses. 
But I go on....much more than you wanted to know...:)

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #574983 by Vespista
I can't remember the make of it, but it was all plastic construction; a toy really, but like John, it got me hooked.
I would have been 12-13 years old and still have some of the photos I took with it.
I'm 64 now and since then I've owned Pentax, Canon and a Leica but have been "Brand-loyal" to Nikon for the past 30 years. My current body is a D810.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #574984 by Alfonso Camil
Kodak Brownie?  Are you talking about the camera from early 1900's?

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #574990 by KCook
The first camera I used was my father's Leica IIIc. Which was actually kind of primitive by today's standards. The first camera just for me was a simple '50s era box camera. First serious camera purchase was a Minolta SR7. If I were to be accused of any brand loyalty I suppose that would be to Olympus. But that is a very iffy loyalty.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 11 months ago #575048 by effron

Alfonso Camil wrote: Kodak Brownie?  Are you talking about the camera from early 1900's?

No, this is the one...

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #575123 by Moe
Yes!  A Polaroid

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #575135 by Chris Briggs
Oh man, it was a old Nikon film camera.  That's all I can recall that this time.  I'll need to get chummy with Google to find the model number.  

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #575156 by C.C.
Yes and I still have the camera somewhere in storage!

Canon AE-1 35mm SLR Film Camera and it had a 50 mm lens

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #575339 by Horatio
The first camera that was my own, was a Brownie camera.  When I decided to purchase an SLR camera, I bought a Nikkormat.  That was the opening of a most wonderful door.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024