Getting ugly catchlights when using Octabox

6 years 1 week ago #576827 by Randall McNabb
I've seen some photographers get great looking catchlights in the eyes of their subject by using a Octabox.  Well I picked up one, however my catchlights just look like small dots.  I have moved my light around, positioned it higher and lower and always just get a pin dots in my models eyes.  

What am I doing wrong?

Photo Comments
6 years 1 week ago #576843 by J Photo Man
How far is your light from your model?  If you have a small dot showing up, you have your light positioned to far away.  Move it much closer and try again.

Photo Comments
6 years 1 week ago #576868 by effron
Yes, lights "too" far from subject.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 1 week ago #576917 by garyrhook
And.... how big is the Octabox? 60"? Bigger is better.

Photo Comments
6 years 1 week ago #576932 by albinpix
Getting close is going to be the quickest and most effective way of fixing this issue. If you have access to a bigger octabox, use it, but I think you'll see a huge difference with positioning your subject close to the light.

Photo Comments
6 years 1 week ago #576939 by Tony Imaging
Well all is correct and on the money here.   Get your light closer and go big.

Photo Comments
6 years 1 week ago #577033 by MM Images
I had the same experience first time experimenting with catch lights.  Just move your lights closer and you'll be good.  

Photo Comments
6 years 1 week ago #577099 by Carry
Which Octabox are you using?

Photo Comments
6 years 1 week ago #577125 by G Vernon
The larger the source, the softer it is. It all depends on what you will be shooting that dictates how large you want your source to be. As a general rule the distance from subject shouldn´t be any greater than the diameter of the Octa or Beauty dish for example on a head and shoulder shot it´ll usually just be fractionally outside of the frame. A good size would be 60 inches + for a 3/4 / full length shot. Another way to achieve large catch lights is to stand directly in front of a larger diameter Octabank, the light will still wrap around the subject, but at close range for head and shoulders it´ll produce nicely sculptured almost translucent catch-lights.

Photo Comments
6 years 6 days ago #577571 by Vahrenkamp

GJ-Vernon wrote: The larger the source, the softer it is. It all depends on what you will be shooting that dictates how large you want your source to be. As a general rule the distance from subject shouldn´t be any greater than the diameter of the Octa or Beauty dish for example on a head and shoulder shot it´ll usually just be fractionally outside of the frame. A good size would be 60 inches + for a 3/4 / full length shot. Another way to achieve large catch lights is to stand directly in front of a larger diameter Octabank, the light will still wrap around the subject, but at close range for head and shoulders it´ll produce nicely sculptured almost translucent catch-lights.

I've seen some of your portraits, very catchy work.  Good post.  +1

Photo Comments
6 years 5 days ago #577938 by Stacy Kaufman
I had the same problem and then read that you need to bring your light about 4'-5' from your subject and it worked very well for me.  I have a 32" box.  

Photo Comments
6 years 15 hours ago #578753 by Gord-O
Agree with rest - get it closer.  I use a 36" inch collapsible beauty dish with deflectors remove or an Ocotbox as well,  and both work as long as I'm within that 4-5 ft. range like the rest have mentioned..  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024