Cuba safe for bringing family while on photo workshop?

5 years 11 months ago #578923 by Tristan R
Anyone been here before and can comment on traveling there?  I'm going to be attending a workshop here and wondering on bringing my family.  

How safe is it here?  

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #578927 by effron
I wouldn't, but that goes for many foreign lands. Maybe check with the State Dept, ask them that question.....

Also.... www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147270-s206/...alth.And.Safety.html

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #578938 by Tristan R
Oh good stuff, thank you.  Driving right now, will read when I get home. 

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #578954 by NickSano
Cuba is pretty safe area, very low crime rate. 

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #578957 by Moe
Are you kidding, Cuba has very little crime. Just be smart and don’t be the dumb tourist.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #578960 by Tristan R
Good to know.  My wife wants to go, but had reserves.  One of her girl friends went 4 years ago and said it was the best trip she has ever had.  Just wondering about today with the current 'political' state.  :whistle:

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #578965 by Paganelli
Folks this is a valid question but let me squeeze in that Cuba is perhaps the safer place on earth. I started doing research and traveling there back in 1989.  I was pretty much the only foreigner from the USA permitted to travel to the island when most tourists were Spaniards, Italians, and from American nations like: Mexico, Canada, Argentina etc and some from the Soviet Block. Rarely did I see any other photographers until around 1995 or 1996. 
Much has changed since those early days but safety is the same. I would be more afraid in the USA or Mexico than in Cuba. Things to be aware comes in the form of drinking water and other basic infrastructure details.

In 1996 I started doing workshops in Cuba and not once did any travelers, or their family members, had any issues with safety or felt afraid even when walking on their own at night time.

For those interested here is an interview I did for Lens Culture when my photo book Cuba A Personal Journey 1989-2016 was published at the end of 2016. I hope it can be helpful and sheds some light on the subject and answer some of your concerns.
 LensCulture
www.lensculture.com/articles/manuello-pa...a-a-personal-journey

Happy travels!

Manuello Paganelli
www.ManuelloPaganelli.com
Los Angeles California

5 years 11 months ago #578969 by Johan Alonso
My brother in law was there last October, he joked that he gained 10 lbs from all the food he ate there.  Apparently people are very friendly and the food is very good.  I tell you one thing, I would go to Cuba over Mexico these days.  

5 years 11 months ago #579048 by fmw
The Cuban government won't allow you or your family to roam freely.  You will either stay at a resort or take government operated tours.  You and your family will be as safe as anywhere else.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579050 by Otto F

fmw wrote: The Cuban government won't allow you or your family to roam freely.  You will either stay at a resort or take government operated tours.  You and your family will be as safe as anywhere else.

Why is that?  

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #579051 by Victor.E

Otto F wrote:

fmw wrote: The Cuban government won't allow you or your family to roam freely.  You will either stay at a resort or take government operated tours.  You and your family will be as safe as anywhere else.

Why is that?  

They don't want curious Americans to stumble upon one of their missile silos pointed at USA.  LOL

Seriously I have no idea why, but will say, Cuba is one of the most beautiful underrated places you can visit.  The cars, colors, food and people just bring you to another world.  Highly recommend.  

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579084 by fmw
Security. It is no different than what you will encounter in North Korea or any repressive dictatorship. I understand dictatorship. I was raised in Cuba.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579101 by Sassy Girl
My husband and I were just talking about going to Cuba in November for our anniversary.  

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579157 by Colorado Mike
Does Cuba still allow you to stay 90 days there?  Before my neighbor got in a car accident, he was traveling there and staying for I want to say 90 day periods.  Very safe there from what I've picked up from him.  There are a couple places I want to go first, but Cuba is on the go to list.   

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #580087 by MYoung
I would go only in a organized tour or workshop.  Same thing with Mexico.  Stay in a group.  Workshops typically know the locals, and the bad people leave the locals alone.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024