How many MP you need in a camera?

5 years 11 months ago #579452 by Ziggy
I just made a post in the Nikon section here talking about after 10+ years, it's time to upgrade my cameras that are crapping out on me.  

I'm so surprised with the MP ratings in todays cameras.  It seems the manufactures really push these numbers onto consumers.  

Putting all BS and vanity aside.  If you are casually printing your work for your own private use with the occasional print sale.  What MP is really needed these days?  

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579454 by garyrhook
"More."

:rofl:

Seriously, though, it depends upon how big you want to print, and how much you want to crop. Also, the better cameras offer 14-bit pixels, as opposed to twelve. And more data means more detail, means better print results. Who can argue with that.

Manufacturers aren't "pushing" anything: consumers demand it.

I've printed 16x24 from a 16MP crop sensor file, and been very happy. But I'd still like to be able to shoot with margin and easily crop in post, without losing the ability to print large. That means more MP, or a medium format camera. The latter won't happen.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579483 by effron
Its not about need, its about want...and I want a high MP camera body,,,,

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579488 by Addicted2Photos
At least 80mp

Depends on what you are going to do with the photos.   If you are looking to print, then 20mp+ I would say.  If you just posting on FB and social, 16mp.  

Oh, and how much your wallet will handle.  

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579500 by Shadowfixer1
My current rig is 16 MP. I personally think 24 MP is the sweet spot. The files get a little large after 24 MP.
5 years 11 months ago #579611 by Julie Staas
20-24mp IMO

Country Girl out for a stroll
Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579631 by Kenya See
24MP seems like a good number for me too  :)  

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579674 by KCook
I only "need" 8Mp. A little more does help cropping, as already mentioned. 24Mp I can live with when it comes with effective RAW compression. I have seen uncompressed 24Mp RAW go up to 50Mb for the file size, which is more than I want to deal with.

Hobbyguy

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 11 months ago #579729 by garyrhook

KCook wrote: I have seen uncompressed 24Mp RAW go up to 50Mb for the file size, which is more than I want to deal with.

I was about to say this:

Yeah, but a file size (for a 24MP sensor) going up to almost 50MB doesn't have anything to do with "needing" MP. Even if you had 8MP at 14-bit, you'd have a 16MB file. Which still doesn't impact need, right?

Then I thought further, and realize that quality affects need. If I have a 16MB sensor that works at 14 bit, I may not need 20MP. So I'm going to change my answer to, "it depends". Coupled with my initial statement, above.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579752 by fmw
My first digital camera had a 1.5 megapixel sensor.  I used it for internet product photography and reduced the file size of every image prior to uploading it to a web site.  My first DSLR (a Nikon D80) had 10mp.  I didn't find it wanting in any way.  I made 11X14 prints with the files and they were excellent.  I replaced the D80 with a D7000.  While I preferred it to the D80 it wasn't because of the slightly denser sensor.  The D7000 as well as my current Fuji cameras produce better resolution than Panatomic X film so I can't imagine a need for any more.  For kicks I went out and photographed a complex subject one day with D7000 and D7100 which has slightly more density than the D7000.  Enlarged 100% crops were indistighuishable in terms of detail.  A little post process could make the images absolutely identical.

I think the reason photographers want more pixel density is that the manufacturers have used it as a major specification for advertising.  You should also note that larger pixels outperform smaller ones.  So while cramming more pixels into the same space may provide more resolution, it reduces performance in other areas like low light.  I don't think we have had need more pixel density for a while.  But ever smaller pixels will continue to be developed.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579755 by KCook
  • Yeah, but a file size (for a 24MP sensor) going up to almost 50MB doesn't have anything to do with "needing" MP. Even if you had 8MP at
    14-bit, you'd have a 16MB file. Which still doesn't impact need, right?
"Needing"?  No, you are correct.  But it has everything to do with "limiting".  The Mp that some folks now "need" exceed what I would even consider in the first place.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 11 months ago #579779 by Tristan R
I won't get out out of bed for anything less than 80MP

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579867 by Uplander
What's funny is that I don't think we are that far from something like 80mp being norm!  

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #579934 by ThatNikonGuy
Yeah, "More". I'm going to piggy back off Gary's answer.  LOL  it works for  me as well! 

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #580015 by Jennifer Krueger
Well that is tricky, so what needs to be done is separate need and want here. 

Need: 16 MP+

Want: 24 MP+

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024