What is considered a Professional Photographer?

1 year 4 months ago #580033 by C.C.
This is one of those terms that always seems to get me in the discussions.  Some will say a professional photographer is one that makes a living from photography.  Meaning their earnings can support them. 

Then you have some who are out there shooting with an iPhone donning the 'Professional Photographer' badge because they have a zillion people following them on Instagram.  

Then you have the people who have been shooting 2-3 years, and they have amazing skills with their camera and post processing, however aren't making a living from their camera just yet. 

That's actually the part that gets me.  What is considered a professional photographer?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 4 months ago #580057 by effron
If you earn your living as a photographer, you are a professional.....(or something like that)

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago #580071 by Don Fischer
I would think a Professional is a guy that offer's his photo's for sale. If he/she can't make a living at it is their problem, they are still looking to sell their photo's. Maybe they are just bad professional's!

1 year 4 months ago #580232 by Peter Nunez
By that definition, I would be a Professional Photographer, I've been making a living from photography for years.  Personally this is one of those terms that I always never agreed with.  I know people who are excellent photographers, who's work is REALLY incredible, but they aren't for hire.  They just take photos for their own personal use.   These guys are professionals in my book. 

Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago #580422 by KenMan
Yeah, pretty much my thoughts as well.

Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago #580453 by Sawyer
Honestly, this is one title I don't pay attention too.  To many have abused it and therefor, doesn't have much weight with me. 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago #580529 by effron
Yeah, I won money in a golf tournament last year which makes me a professional golfer!!!
(ignore this post, IRS..I'm a pathological liar)....

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago #580717 by Luca

effron wrote: Yeah, I won money in a golf tournament last year which makes me a professional golfer!!!
(ignore this post, IRS..I'm a pathological liar)....

LMAO!!!!

Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago #580754 by Gord-O
Agree as well.  

Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago #580886 by Robert Chen
Yep, don't pay attention to titles either.  Over rated.  Just here to take good photos. 

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago #581851 by Stic
If you get paid for you're photography, you are a 'professional' photographer...

Some consider skill the factor in professionalism but, getting paid is the correct factor.

There's plenty of amateur drivers out there who race on circuits, but, only if they get paid at it would you call them a professional race car driver...

Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago #582008 by Sandy Smith Photos

Robert Chen wrote: Yep, don't pay attention to titles either.  Over rated.  Just here to take good photos. 

:agree:   Yep, I'm with you on this one. 

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019

In this Canon EOS M6 Mark II review, learn about the essential specs, features, pros, and cons of Canon's newest mirrorless camera.

Sep 10, 2019

The Canon T7i is an entry-level camera with some excellent features that will help you learn and grow as a photographer. Find out if it's the right camera for you in this Canon T7i review.

Sep 09, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this gift guide, find inspiration for some of the best gifts for photographers under $1,000. From lights to camera bags, cameras to massive prints, you can find just about anything for the photographer on your list.

Sep 20, 2019

Looking to take your camera away from the crowds? Consider these off-the-beaten-path travel destinations for photographers as a great place to start!

Sep 20, 2019

Photo by Cristal Malek Photography Meet Cozette and Bordreaux. They're your typical parents, except they are French Bulldogs. But French Bulldogs enjoy the...

Sep 20, 2019

Video recording glasses have been around for awhile now, so they're nothing new. However, recent price drops have made them quite affordable. Check out the best video recording glasses on our list of budget-friendly options.

Sep 19, 2019

Camera sling bags are a top choice for photographers that want functionality, comfort, and ease of use. Here's our pick for the top 5 camera sling bags of 2019.

Sep 18, 2019

The Fujifilm X-A7 was recently announced as the successor to the X-A5. With some significant improvements, it might just be the best entry-level mirrorless camera on the market.

Sep 18, 2019

If your photo is flat and lacks much in the way of color and contrast, you can use these post-processing tips to add life to a flat photo.

Sep 17, 2019

Photo by Joe deSousa on Unsplash There are certain questionable tactics in the real estate game, like promising free pizzas for...

Sep 17, 2019