What is considered a Professional Photographer?

1 year 1 month ago #580033 by C.C.
This is one of those terms that always seems to get me in the discussions.  Some will say a professional photographer is one that makes a living from photography.  Meaning their earnings can support them. 

Then you have some who are out there shooting with an iPhone donning the 'Professional Photographer' badge because they have a zillion people following them on Instagram.  

Then you have the people who have been shooting 2-3 years, and they have amazing skills with their camera and post processing, however aren't making a living from their camera just yet. 

That's actually the part that gets me.  What is considered a professional photographer?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 1 month ago #580057 by effron
If you earn your living as a photographer, you are a professional.....(or something like that)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

1 year 1 month ago #580071 by Don Fischer
I would think a Professional is a guy that offer's his photo's for sale. If he/she can't make a living at it is their problem, they are still looking to sell their photo's. Maybe they are just bad professional's!

1 year 1 month ago #580232 by Peter Nunez
By that definition, I would be a Professional Photographer, I've been making a living from photography for years.  Personally this is one of those terms that I always never agreed with.  I know people who are excellent photographers, who's work is REALLY incredible, but they aren't for hire.  They just take photos for their own personal use.   These guys are professionals in my book. 

Photo Comments

1 year 1 month ago #580422 by KenMan
Yeah, pretty much my thoughts as well.

Photo Comments

1 year 1 month ago #580453 by Sawyer
Honestly, this is one title I don't pay attention too.  To many have abused it and therefor, doesn't have much weight with me. 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments

1 year 1 month ago #580529 by effron
Yeah, I won money in a golf tournament last year which makes me a professional golfer!!!
(ignore this post, IRS..I'm a pathological liar)....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

1 year 1 month ago #580717 by Luca

effron wrote: Yeah, I won money in a golf tournament last year which makes me a professional golfer!!!
(ignore this post, IRS..I'm a pathological liar)....

LMAO!!!!

Photo Comments

1 year 1 month ago #580754 by Gord-O
Agree as well.  

Photo Comments

1 year 1 month ago #580886 by Robert Chen
Yep, don't pay attention to titles either.  Over rated.  Just here to take good photos. 

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments

1 year 1 month ago #581851 by Stic
If you get paid for you're photography, you are a 'professional' photographer...

Some consider skill the factor in professionalism but, getting paid is the correct factor.

There's plenty of amateur drivers out there who race on circuits, but, only if they get paid at it would you call them a professional race car driver...

Photo Comments

1 year 1 month ago #582008 by Sandy Smith Photos

Robert Chen wrote: Yep, don't pay attention to titles either.  Over rated.  Just here to take good photos. 

:agree:   Yep, I'm with you on this one. 

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

nikon d3500 vs canon t7 review, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 price, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 body, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 specs, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 lenses

Jun 24, 2019

In this Panasonic G95 review, learn why this APS-C mirrorless camera is a great choice for both photographers and videographers that want a high-quality camera on a budget.

Jun 19, 2019

In this Leica Q review, we take a look at one of the premier compact digital cameras on the market, including its specs, design, build quality, and price.

Jun 17, 2019

If you want to upgrade your camera without spending a ton of money, yet don't want to sacrifice quality or features, you might consider the Canon EOS 80D as a top choice.

Jun 13, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Syrp Genie Mini is one of my favorite camera accessories, but now that the Syrp Genie Mini II is out with many all-new features, I think it's time to upgrade.

Jun 25, 2019

In this quick tutorial, learn how to take good photos with a kit lens by playing up its strengths and managing its weaknesses.

Jun 25, 2019

In this article on dynamic range explained, you'll learn how to define dynamic range as well as how to manage it using a variety of effective techniques.

Jun 25, 2019

Screenshot from YouTube video Giant squid are notoriously difficult to photograph. For one thing, they live really, really far underwater. For another,...

Jun 24, 2019

With these landscape photography techniques, you'll learn a few pointers for getting the best shots, no matter what kind of landscape you're exploring.

Jun 24, 2019

nikon d3500 vs canon t7 review, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 price, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 body, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 specs, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 lenses

Jun 24, 2019

Not sure if a camera bag or a camera backpack is right for you? In this camera bag vs. camera backpack comparison, learn about the pros and cons of each.

Jun 20, 2019

If your photos are too dark, learn how to fix underexposed photos using this quick and simple three-step process. It takes just a few moments, but the results can be spectacular!

Jun 20, 2019