Best Camera for Beginner?

5 years 11 months ago #581667 by Bro
I am trying to begin photography, and looking for a camera since my birthday is in a few weeks. My budget is probably $500. Still looking for the best quality possible. I will probably do mostly nature related photos. What should I look for in a camera? Also, what are some good options?

5 years 11 months ago #581747 by Karen Comella
Are you open to buying something used?  I ask because you can save a few bucks by buying used, and get yourself a much better camera for less.   

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #581785 by effron
Tough to answer with so little info and limited bandwidth.....
www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides...-and-compact-cameras

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #581919 by Neil Dulay
Nikon D3400 or Canon Rebel

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582126 by Don Fischer
When I do buy photography equip it is generally refurbished. Every thing I've bought is like new. From what I've read the camera doesn't seem near as important as the lens. I've read buy an inexpensive camera and an expensive lens. I don't buy that. I don't have what most would call expensive camera's, a D-5000 and a D-7000 but at my income, they were all I can aford. They both do pretty much what I want and that is more important than what you paid for it. Someone mentioned the D-3400 I think. I have no idea what it does but if I were shooting everything standing still it would work I'd bet and give the same quality of photo's any other DLSR would give you, depending on the lens. In fact if your like me at all, even the less expensive Len's are better than I am. I see no reason to lay out $1000+ for a lens if I can't get those kind of photo's. This photo stuff is not a livelihood for me. I suspect if it was, I might upgrade my stuff. I hve a Nikon F5 film csmer. It is pretty cool but I found I used my old FG more, did all I wanted and was a lot lighter! I go out to shoot dog's in the field here at home, I take my D-5000 over the D-7000 sometime's. Lighter and easier to carry around and on dog's that are still, does just as good job as my heavy D-7000

5 years 11 months ago #582150 by fmw
Which brand and model of camera you choose is fairly trivial.  Since you want to learn about photography I would recommend you choose something capable of manual exposure (user adjustable shutter speed, aperture and ISO.)  I would also suggest you pick something with the ability to focus manually.  If it were my camera I would also want a hot shoe so that I could use external flash.

All modern cameras have an auto or point and shoot mode.  What you want is a camera that does more than that.

For a short time I owned a Fuji X-A3.  It did all of those things and had amazingly good optics.  It was capable of images as good as virtually any camera.  It was $500 and change and included a 16-50 zoom lens which is interchangeable.  I can recommend that one.  The only other $500 camera I have owned was a point and shoot and I suggest you go beyond that.  There are many other options but I don't have personal experience with them since my cameras are over your budget..  Good luck.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582162 by siodre
this isn't really a question that anyone can answer for you. the most important thing about a camera is how it feels in your hands. is it too big or too small? is it too heavy? can you find and reach all of the buttons while keeping your finger on the shutter button and your eye up to the viewfinder? if the camera isn't comfortable then you won't take it out and that best camera of them all will be the best paper weight of them all.

figure out what sort of camera you want, compact, bridge, mirrorless or dslr. then go to your local electronics store and play with them for a bit. pick them up, hold them, take a few shots and tell the salesmen to go away. narrow down your list to one or two camera models that you like and then research them.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582304 by MYoung
+1 on last 3 comments.  Good points. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024