When to upgrade camera body?

5 years 11 months ago #581992 by Amanda Davis
Yuckers, I'm not feeling well at all today.  And what has been staring at me all day?  B&H website.  I'm feeling some temptation to upgrade my Canon 5D II.  

Today is a pure spur of the moment thought on picking up new body.  Well semi true.  I've been thinking about getting a new camera body for a few months.  However not much of needs fueling this.

When do you determine if you should upgrade camera body?

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #581993 by garyrhook
When the current one doesn't meet my needs, whether it's technical stuff like low ISO performance, or some feature that would benefit my work.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #581998 by siodre
it's time to upgrade when you can identify a specific issue with your current gear that new gear will fix. i prefer to upgrade lenses before cameras.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582003 by Vespista
+1.
If you genuinely feel that you're being held back by your current gear, time to upgrade.
Hope you're feeling better soon!

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582014 by effron
You should know when its time....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582046 by Shadowfixer1
Hogwash! These guys are giving you the correct answer but the real answer is when your budget allows it and the new purchase will make you happy. If you want it and can afford it, buy it. Tomorrow is no guarantee.  
5 years 11 months ago #582060 by effron

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Hogwash! These guys are giving you the correct answer but the real answer is when your budget allows it and the new purchase will make you happy. If you want it and can afford it, buy it. Tomorrow is no guarantee.  

That's a "bingo"....Want trumps need every time for me......:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582085 by Sean Lamber

effron wrote: You should know when its time....

LOL like a birds first flight!   

You just know.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582088 by fmw
Pros replace cameras when they break or when they no longer do what the photographer needs to do.  Amateurs replace them when some new and shiny is released.  Obviously you are an amateur so new and shiny is the answer.

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582138 by Colorado Mike
When I have the money and REALLY want the camera

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582144 by Shadowfixer1

fmw wrote: Pros replace cameras when they break or when they no longer do what the photographer needs to do.  Amateurs replace them when some new and shiny is released.  Obviously you are an amateur so new and shiny is the answer.

I've known quite a few "pros". They like new and shiny just as much as us amateurs. It's not an exclusive thing. 
5 years 11 months ago #582159 by Olivia
Need and have the money to support that need with out hardship

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582166 by Juan Anthony
Yep, same with me.  :agree:   

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582339 by Roman Omell
Pretty much the same here.  When there is enough need, desire for something new and I have the disposable income to support that purchase.  

Or, I've made an impulse buy and slightly regret my decision, but my WOW factor is through the roof.  AKA - did I need it?  NO.  Did I get excited and not think before I purchased - Yes.  :whistle:

Photo Comments
5 years 11 months ago #582641 by Finn
When the need exceeds the value of my cash

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024