Will you drink on the job if offered by client?

5 years 10 months ago #583110 by Peter P
I just posted another thread here about needing to find a new assistant.  Basically I had to let another go because he was caught doing shots with my wedding client yesterday.  When he was supposed to be going around and taking photos.  His excuse was "I'm not drunk", and then "if the client offers, it's disrespectful to say no".  

Perhaps I'm the odd ball here.  But I have a zero drink policy while a client has expectations from me.  

Am I part of the norm, or off in left field?  

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583165 by effron
In my younger days I rarely passed on a sip or ten, but even then, NEVER did I drink on the job or with clients....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #583182 by garyrhook
Your assistant was an idiot, and any assumption that he/she was available for drinking meant that he/she was making overtures to someone.

The answer should always be, "thank you, but no, I'm working." That's not too hard to understand.

And while we're at it: sounds like you need a contract for your subs/seconds, that clarifies expectations pre/during/post of the engagement. Where a violation of contract terms means immediate dismissal and forfeiture of all but basic compensation (travel expenses, time at minimum wage, etc).

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583211 by effron
Yup, somebody needs a new assistant.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583229 by Thomas S
Depends on who is buying?  

Seriously, the answer is no.  Not while on the clock.  

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583250 by Rudy Sosa
Nope, never, wouldn't even consider it.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583258 by Stanly
Something goes wrong with the gig, if you have been drinking, even a sip, you are opening up a nasty door of liability.  

Answer is simple, don't drink when working.  

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583271 by Moe
+2 agree on this one!

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583358 by Amy Porter
I know people who have and still do.  Personally that is one line I've never crossed and never will. 

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583422 by CaptNemo
:agree:   you don't want to end up on the cover of Yahoo for silly photos you took. 

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583438 by Camera Diva
Never have, and never will.  

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583447 by Sue Bidwell
Never even considered it. 

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583474 by Vahrenkamp
Drinking on the job is just asking for trouble.  It sends a "I'm not a professional" message and above all, it's just not fair for your client.  

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583516 by JMunoz
Easy for me, I quit drinking 17 years ago this July.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583589 by Ben Vanderbilt
Can't say I have, not a big drinker to begin with either.  I've had plenty of times where I was offered a drink, however, I always turn those down. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024