Do you feel we should have to photograph events/gigs that we don't agree about?

5 years 10 months ago #586676 by Happy Hour
So some friends and I had a friendly heated debate this weekend regarding this topic.  For example, what are your  thoughts on US Supreme Court case Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission? As shown here:   en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masterpiece_Cakesh...il_Rights_Commission

Do you feel a photographer should have to work for a person, organization, etc. that the photographers personal beliefs don't align with?  

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #586687 by effron
"Do you feel a photographer should have to work for a person, organization, etc. that the photographers personal beliefs don't align with?"

Nope

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #586739 by Roman Omell
Heck no, you should be able to accept and do the jobs you want too.  

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #586787 by fmw

Happy Hour wrote: So some friends and I had a friendly heated debate this weekend regarding this topic.  For example, what are your  thoughts on US Supreme Court case Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission? As shown here:   en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masterpiece_Cakesh...il_Rights_Commission

Do you feel a photographer should have to work for a person, organization, etc. that the photographers personal beliefs don't align with?  

Of course not.  Same with the cake baker.  Small business owners are entitled to the same freedoms their customers enjoy.  They should be able to choose customers just as customers choose providers.

However I think the cake baker should manage his business as a business rather than as a political or religious statement.  Not liking a customer is a really poor reason for refusing to do business with him or her.  If I were biased I would swallow it and appreciate every customer I could get.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #586802 by icepics
If you're running a photography business you'd be following laws related to being in business where you live. I think it's been illegal for a long time to refuse service to a customer based on age, race, sex, religion, etc. and those definitions have changed and expanded in more recent years. If you're providing a service related to weddings it would be for what's currently considered to be a legal marriage. I mean, it's not up to the photographer (or baker) to judge who can/can't get married or how they live their lives.

You might decline because you're booked, or because there would be too much travel distance to their location, or you do weddings or lifestyle but not boudoir or portraits, etc. and may need to refer them elsewhere for those services you don't provide (kind of like wanting to hire a landscaper to do the plumbing; a customer needs to find a pro who does the type work needed.)

As the photographer your job is to visually record the event/wedding, not make judgements about their union as a couple. Obviously you may have your own personal opinions but those need to be kept out of professional working/business relationships.

It's probably a good idea to think about how and where you're marketing your business so you're more likely to attract clients that are compatible with your style of photography.

Sharon
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #586803 by garyrhook
And right out of the gate, we already seem to avoid the fundamental question: where do you draw the line? Arbitrary choices on the part of some individuals, often based on parameters and characteristics over which one has no control, has led us to this point.

I have a problem a lot of that.

When someone can tell me that a characteristic truly is a choice, then I think you have the option to disagree. Until then, no.

As for doing business with someone you dislike? Of course not. I've quit jobs over disliking someone.

Or doing business with someone I find ignorant? Or arrogant? Those are choices, because you can fix 'em. As funny as I find Ron White, I think you can fix stupid, too.

But a lot of things can't be changed, and deciding to "disagree" with someone over any of those... well, I disagree.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #586811 by Flash Steven
I'm on the side, if you don't want to accept the business, it's your choice.  No one can force you to do a darn thing if you don't want too.  

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #586818 by icepics
But I think that if someone's in business, they can't refuse to serve a customer because of their skin color, or what church they attend, or their sexual orientation, etc. etc. because that's what's discriminatory. There may be other valid reasons to not contract with a potential client.

A business couldn't refuse to hire me as a sports photographer because I'm a woman, and they just think women shouldn't be shooting hockey games. They may not hire me for other reasons (lack of skill/poorly done portfolio, lack of experience, other applicants demonstrating more expertise, etc.).

Sharon
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #586822 by Ian Stone
True, but there are also circumstances if it's uncomfortable because certain attitudes of people, that is fair game. 

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #586918 by Janos
Land of the free, isn't so much land of the free.  There are rules.  While some things we do have the right to say no to, there are other parts that we ethically can't.  We have gone though all this in history class already.  

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #586994 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

We are having this conversation in Australia as well [relating to same-sex stuff] but in this case, may I suggest we back off a bit and ask ...

As an employee, do you or I refuse to do a job that we don't happen to like [presuming it's not an illegal job] but just because we don't like the job? The answer is 'no' we don't refuse because the boss says 'do it' and we say 'yes boss'

As a business owner it is quite different - any boss who is approached for a quote or a request for a product or service, does have the power to accept or decline for business reasons. It is well known across the commercial world that if you don't want a particular job you double the quote and leave the customer to go elsewhere, or if they accept the quote they pay the extra and you do the job while both getting paid and having a satisfied smirk on your face!

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #587018 by Finn
I'm all about choice, we should be able to say no to anyone we don't vibe with, but do it with class, don't be a jerk about it.  

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587172 by Fugler
Your business, do what ever the heck you want.  However there are right and wrong ways of turning down business.  Be smart and respectful of others regardless if you agree with their lifestyles.  

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587235 by Soccer Mom
:agree:    100%

Unless you are working for someone else, IMO it's your decision.  

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024