Will you take working gigs on major holidays?

5 years 10 months ago #587619 by Sassy Girl
I just received a request to work on Thanksgiving this year.  It's legit as I've done 2 other sessions for this client (their wedding and maternity session).  The husbands parents are not doing well, and they are having a family reunion Thanksgiving and want the day to be photographed. 

Would you take this job and how would you charge for this?  They have requested I be there from 12pm noon, till 10pm. 

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #587701 by effron
I used to take "paying" gigs anytime.... YMMV.
It matters not how someone else would charge for it, you have your rates, use them....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587704 by garyrhook
Think "wedding". A full day rate, plus a kicker for the holiday. Much depends upon deliverables. Maybe a book, and everyone at the reunion wants one?

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587718 by Joslyn
I don't work holidays.  To few, and more important to spend with my kids

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587770 by CanonKid
Full day gigs?  NO.  

Something like 4-6 hours early in day, perhaps if it was the right gig.  I would charge accordingly as well. Would want to make sure it's worth my time.  

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587860 by EOS_Fan
Nope, holidays I keep off for family

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #587898 by Happy-pixel
It would have to be a crazy paid session in order for me to give up a holiday with my family.  I'm not saying no, but will say there would be a an impressive premium added.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588016 by MYoung
+1 Yep, I'm with you

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #588198 by icepics
I don't have to do this sort of work so no, I wouldn't! But since you did the client's wedding and maternity photos and know them and realize the circumstances, if they really want you to do this and you're considering it, try discussing options.

I've done events and I don't see a need to be there for 10 hours, and I'm wondering is that because they want to make sure you get 'everybody'? Maybe figure out a way to do that, find out who are the significant people they particularly want photographed (and get everyone else you can). What's the time frame for the day?  Maybe you could go at 11:30 to get early arrivals for lunchtime, leave at whatever time (mid afternoon?), come back after you have an early dinner with your family (by 6:30ish?) to get guests who came late afternoon for dinner/dessert.

If the parents haven't been in the best health, would they even be there til 10? Maybe you could finish up by 8:30 or so. Work maybe 3 hours or so, leave and come back for another 2 hours or so. Or maybe you could get everybody by 4ish and be done for the day. Or if you can't work it out, you may need to decline.

Get on asmp.org or PPA to find the pricing guidelines (both pro organizations link to the same resource). I'd probably be looking at establishing holiday rates. To me that ought to be maybe twice the usual rates? (I don't know other photographers who work holidays.) I would think for some lesser holidays the rates may not be much more than usual but for major holidays I would think so.

But you don't have to do this, if you don't then help the client understand that you want to spend the holiday with your family.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024