H&Y Magnetic Filter Holder

5 years 10 months ago #588030 by Stanly
:thumbsup:

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588032 by garyrhook

Alfonso Camil wrote: So I just watched the video.  As many of you know, I'm kind of new to photography and just bought my first polarized filter a few weeks ago.  I don't have any ND's yet.  Would these style of filters work across all different lens sizes (example 77mm and 67mm)?

I bought into the Formatt-Hitech system, using 100mm filters, and I have adapters to take 82mm down to 67mm and 77mm. No problem at all with 100mm. You only need larger for really big (long) lenses, or a very short lenses that have a rounded front element. The lenses that I would use all fit in the 67 or 77 size.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588033 by Cathy Kadolph
Funny, I was just looking at another bracket that claims they can incorporate other brand filters:  www.winecountry.camera/holder/

Actually a friend sent that to me.  I like the H&Y one better, it's much more organized in size.  I hope that makes sense.  

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588042 by garyrhook

Cathy Kadolph wrote: Actually a friend sent that to me.  I like the H&Y one better, it's much more organized in size.

Not sure what that comment means?

If my budget had allowed, I would have gone with WineCountry.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588046 by Farestad

Cathy Kadolph wrote: Funny, I was just looking at another bracket that claims they can incorporate other brand filters:  www.winecountry.camera/holder/

Actually a friend sent that to me.  I like the H&Y one better, it's much more organized in size.  I hope that makes sense.  

Here's a interesting fact for you.  The creator of Wine Country Camera was also with Formatt-Hitech and went off on his own to create this super filter bracket.  The guy has something like 20+ years in the filter industry if memory is correct. 

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588048 by Ruby Grace
OMG as I see it, that frame is a good think.  I dropped 2 of my filters last year, and chipped both of them.  That frame that goes around the filters must give some added protection to the filters.  :thumbsup:  Thumbs up from me.  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588056 by ShutterPal
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was a joke or spoof of some sort.  Never seen this before or even knew someone came up with this system.  It's interesting.  You all asked some good questions, but the one I'm surprised no one asked is the weight.  I mean these are magnets.  So if you have a full filter kit, how much extra weight is this adding to the old camera bag?

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588072 by J Photo Man
I doubt the weight is going to be much more than others on the market.  Magnets these days can be just a fine strip.  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588206 by Neil Dulay

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588210 by Don Granger
B&H should have some better photos.  Perhaps mounted on a camera would be nice.  

@henry with B&H, you listening?   

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588227 by Colorado Mike
Dang, all sorts of replies!  Let me get a cold refreshment and dive into these. 

Thanks gang!

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588340 by Photo Junky
Yeah, very cool idea if it works.

@Don I agree, the photos on B&H ad are way to small.  They need to show this mounted on camera.  Heck, video might not be a bad idea here.  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588477 by neal1977
Not just video's even under images on Google it's slim pickings for images.  I found the 2 best ones.  

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 9 months ago #588770 by Red Tail

Ben Vanderbilt wrote: Very nice.  I don't think the magnetic will mess anything up.  I wouldn't use with film cameras though.  

I was thinking the same thing.  Just like the x-rays at the airports.  They don't mess with the digital cameras, just the film.  So these magnets, which I can't imagine are that terrible strong, will mess with anything on a digital camera.  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588977 by Jakov Barnes
Wait, so is that frame plastic or metal?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024