Camera that shoots film AND digital?

5 years 9 months ago #588361 by Ryan Obryan
Has there ever been a camera that shot both film and digital?

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588363 by effron
I don't know of one, and fail to see a reason....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588366 by Ryan Obryan
I think it would be fun to have the ability to crank out some film shots if it didn't bulk up the camera.

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588382 by Shadowfixer1
I don't understand people's fascination with film. I will never, ever shoot film again. Been there, done that a lot. Digital is way easier and cheaper.
5 years 9 months ago #588383 by garyrhook
I listen to podcasts, and so many wax poetic and philosophical about film.

I'm like, "dude, it's a tool. Get over it."

On top of that, it's a limited tool. Meh.

And the idea of a camera that combines both mediums... I just can't.

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588386 by Tim Reeder
Think about the space film cameras required.  Now think about the space the digital camera takes.  This camera would be a large brick.  Pass.  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588470 by neal1977
Huh?  No.  I'll pass.  If I want to shoot film, I'll take out my old film camera.  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588472 by fmw
No such thing, OP.  Sorry.  However if you want to experiment with film you can buy a used film camera for a song.  Since digital has surpassed film in every possible way, film is completely obselete.  That explains why used film cameras that are not coveted by collectors are so cheap.  Go buy one and get it out of your system.  Then you can sell it to the next guy for a song.

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588538 by Overread
Oh no.  Why?  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588566 by Scott Klubeck
Yeah, wouldn't see much benefit from having a film camera part of a digital.  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588628 by Harrison J
That would be such a bulky camera.  Frankly, I just don't shoot film enough to warrant that.  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #588668 by icepics
I didn't think so, but found one that does (sort of) or can or will; it's on Kickstarter. It's a back that can work on a film camera, and apparently records an image digitally from the focus screen. To me some of the samples I saw seemed to have a bit of an odd distortion; that and the overall quality reminded me of the photos you can get using a Holga style camera. I suppose that's because images are recorded from the focus screen. I think hi res scans would provide better results if you wanted a digitized version of your film image.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/samellos/im...tal-back/description

Not sure why a film camera would be limiting, or how it takes up more space than a digital camera, or that it has necessarily surpassed film. I've said before I've done submissions to juried exhibits, images shot on film, and digitally - good is good either way. Certainly film and developing aren't necessarily cheap anymore, but I can do the same things with a film scan that I can with a digital image. If I take along my digital camera and a film rangefinder that use the same lenses, the only difference from taking two digital bodies and a couple of lenses would be a few rolls of film. A camera with this back does seem like it would be more bulky than I think I'd like.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024