Are pro photographers still using on lens filters?

5 years 9 months ago #589539 by Tim Burg
I'm pretty sure I know this answer.  B)   However yesterday I ran into the most pompous photographer I think on the planet and I feel like posting his stupidity here.

First off the guy was talking about how great his gear was, compared to others.   Then he had the nerve to say if a photographer didn't constantly invest in the latest gear, how can others including clients taken him seriously.  

Then he splintered off into a filter discussion.  Largely because I had a polarizer on my camera, and I was on my phone shopping for a new 10 stop ND.  His exactly comment went something like this: "pro photographers simply don't use filters, perhaps when they were getting started.  But that is learn about light.  If you want to go pro, you need to ditch filters". 

At this point, I'm just going along for the ride so I asked him what are these "pro's"  doing when they need to photograph something with a reflection that they don't want (where a polarizer would be used for)  or better yet, if they need to slow down the exposure for effect (where a good ND would be used).  You can tell the guy got stumped, he started to make a comment that they "don't take these sort of shots".  Then, the cherry of the discussion:  He pulled out his phone and pretended he needed to take a call.  Guys... I saw his phone, he had no call.  But he put on a good show that he was talking to someone and walked out.  

LOL this was too good not to share with you!  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #589542 by fmw
Filters were critical in the film days.  We used them to adjust color temperature in color photography and contrast in black and white photography.  In the digital age there is no use for any of those filters so we are down to polarizers and ND filters.

Personally I don't own an ND filter and use polarizers only rarely.  While I used to shoot all kinds of subjects as a commercial photographer in the past, the only commercial photos I do today are product shots which require neither of the above.  My use of filters today would only be involved with amateur shots made for pleasure rather than money.

My guess is that the know-it-all photographer described above was trying to say that patience and work can do a better job than a filter.  If the light is wrong then wait for better light or find another time time or different angle to make the image.  Photo editing can resolve issues as well.

I don't mind his comments about filters.  I certainly disagree with him on the requirement to impress his clients with his equipment.  He should impress them with his images and great images don't require the latest equipment.  They involve good photographers as they always have.

I'll tell you a true story.  I had a client once that insisted that I use a Hasselblad camera for his shoot.  I didn't have a Hasselblad system.  I had a Mamiya system instead.  I could have rented a Hasselblad but, instead, I did the shoot with my Mamiya system and a 6X6 film back.  When I presented the transparencies his comment was "Isn't it wonderful what beautiful images the Hasselblad can make?"  I shook my head in agreement and presented him with an invoice.

For me, camera equipment is pretty low on the scale of requirements for good photography.  Sorry for the rant.

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #589548 by Fess Walker
That guy sounded like an absolute idiot.  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #589552 by garyrhook
What does this clown's work look like? We need a name or website. :evil:

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #589616 by Moe
Huh?

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #589620 by effron
I made a decision a long time ago to avoid debates with those that are perfect....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #589621 by Luca
Oh I bet this guy would be a treat to listen too.  :rofl:

Seriously though, that was some funny stuff!

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #589637 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

I'm sure that we've all met clowns like this as we do our stuff - a year or so back I had camera on tripod for some stuff I was doing and was approached by a bloke who started on & on about his fabulous dSLR camera he had bought [turned out from a chain store] and this magic camera even had 2 lenses ... an 18-55 and a 55-200. Wow!!

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 9 months ago #589641 by Peter Nunez
What?  Come on.  Man I hope this guy isn't in any sort of teaching position with that sort of 'understanding'.  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #589643 by Vespista
Best laugh I've had all week.
Thanks!

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #589650 by Greg Friedman
LOL I can only hope this guy was joking

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #589678 by Cristy Fields
I just read all the comments and had a good laugh.  What a do do head that guy seems.  I can't stand people who don't know what they are talking about and have this 'world is all about them' attitude.  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #589844 by Little Kate
Such horrible advice.  What's sad is there is likely new photographers that have run into this person who listened to him.  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #589910 by Kenta
Hog wash, how absurd. 

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #590044 by icepics
I sometimes use red or yellow filters when I'm shooting B&W film. I'd use a polarizer going to a lake or someplace similar (which isn't often where I live!).

Depends on what you're doing if you may want to use a filter or not, and I see no need to have the latest equipment. I've done sports and events and nobody gives a rat's what you use or how you get the pictures, just so you get good photos fast. A knowledgeable pro knows what equipment to use when.

I might have been tempted to use the pretend to get a phone call ploy before he did! lol

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024