Built in camera flashes being phased out?

5 years 8 months ago #591904 by Julie Staas
Are we seeing a new trend with newer cameras.  I was just looking the Nikon D500 and also noticed they didn't put a on camera flash in the new D850 either.  Not sure how things are in Canon or Sony.  However, do you know if on camera flashes are being phased out?  

Country Girl out for a stroll
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #591911 by Screamin Scott
They were never on the upper end models, mainly base & consumer models

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #591914 by Julie Staas
But is the D500 considered upper end?  I thought it was middle of the road.  The D700 and D800 was considered upper model and those had on camera flash?

Country Girl out for a stroll
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #591918 by Troponin

Julie Staas wrote: But is the D500 considered upper end?  I thought it was middle of the road.  The D700 and D800 was considered upper model and those had on camera flash?

A new D500 is about $2,000, which is on par with the price cost of a high end 21mp camera, so I am assuming it is. 

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #591924 by effron
I've had my D800 nearly five years and I don't believe I have ever fired the onboard flash. Maybe popped the D7100 once or twice. The "pro" bodies usually aren't equipped...

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592294 by Ben Vanderbilt
Never used mine, so not much of interest if they do or don't.  If they don't, hopefully the $$ saved will be applied to new tech I would use.  

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592448 by Peter Nunez
I haven't used an on camera flash ever.  Not at least for anything serious.  Horrible light if you want my 2 cents.  

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592576 by fmw
I hope so.  The feature teaches people how to make bad photos.

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592772 by Matt VanDyke
If they are, fine by me.  When's the last time you got a good shoot from using your on camera flash?  

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592777 by Screamin Scott
Best (and about only good use) is when used as a fill in flash to remove shadows on faces.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592971 by Vladimir
That's cool.  Don't use the on camera flash ever.  It would be cool that features that we don't use, we don't get charged for.  Cameras built custom for each of our needs.  WOW that would be cool.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024