Renting your camera gear on Sharegrid?

5 years 8 months ago #591915 by CaptNemo
Have you listed your old camera gear, or any of your gear on Sharegrid?  What has been your experience?   Any issues with gear getting damaged?  

If so, how did it get resolved?  

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #591922 by effron
I'm not certain I like that idea, others might. I'll be watching this thread closely....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #591938 by CaptNemo
It seems interesting on older not used gear is what I'm thinking.  Heck it works with Uber and other car, home and boat share programs.  Why not camera gear?  

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592074 by GWS
If there was bullet proof way to keep my gear covered down to the scratch, then maybe. 

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592096 by Sawyer
Well the tough part about this for me is what happens when a minor scratch occurs on your camera.  What is the process to prove who did what?

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592242 by Luca
Exactly!  It turns into a she said, he said

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592325 by Photo Junky
So tough.  First thought yes I would consider.  However I'm haunted on what could go wrong and how would I prove who did what.  I guess I'll sit this one out to read other reviews.  

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592363 by Flash Steven

effron wrote: I'm not certain I like that idea, others might. I'll be watching this thread closely....

:agree:  you know what?  I'm with you on this one.  I just can't say either or for the reasons that have been mentioned already.   

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592394 by Miss Polly
Well it's no different than proving a renter of your home via airbnb broke a vase, or scratched a door.  I'm guessing, I haven't used this company, and not on either side of the fence.  However I think assuming you look beyond the insurance side of things (which I assume they would have figured out), the model could work.  

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592447 by Peter Nunez
Hmmmm, I wouldn't be the first in line to give up my camera to another for rent.  

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592587 by Frisco
Hmmm will need to think about this one.  

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #592596 by icepics
Never heard of it so looked it up. Says the insurance is thru Athos. Never heard of them either. Skimmed thru their Terms; it says under Availability of Products that "We do not imply that the products or services we present are available for use in jurisdictions in which we are not licensed to do business...".

So I looked on my state website, they didn't show up in a search so I don't know if they're licensed to provide insurance in my state or not. Probably better to find out before assuming they're going to cover damages.

Glanced at the Privacy info. too. For Sharegrid it says they may ask for information... under 'Information You Provide to Us' it says "3) Copies and/or information regarding your business license..." "...address verification documentation (including statements and bills), employment information, background information..." and on and on. Now I've done work where background checks were done, I don't have a problem with that for a job, but... for this??

I was thinking, we always used to get told to read the fine print...

Sharon
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592641 by KenMan
Interesting idea, could work with the right checks and balances to protect the gear owners.  Could this be the platform that takes down rental agencies?  Or at least moves them to different model? 

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592743 by garyrhook

KenMan wrote: Interesting idea, could work with the right checks and balances to protect the gear owners.  Could this be the platform that takes down rental agencies?  Or at least moves them to different model? 

What other model should rental agencies be using?

And why on earth do people think that every crazy idea that is "disruptive" is a good thing? Since you're not paying attention, let me point out that Uber and Lyft pay a pittance to the drivers before depreciation of the vehicle. Sorry, but we've been sold a lie.

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592779 by Matt VanDyke
I know a few Uber drivers, they are run down, their cars have crazy high miles, and they regret getting started.  One even tried Lyft and said it's no better.  All the same ordeal.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024