Clients pays tip with check, that bounces

5 years 8 months ago #592285 by Joslyn
A client from 2 weeks ago, gave me a $500 tip that they paid with a check.  Well their payment for the wedding cleared no problem.  I just got notice from my bank yesterday that they $500 check bounced.  How would you approach this?

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #592290 by effron
I'd let it sit a couple days, the check writers will also be notified. See if they make it right without prodding. Hope it was merely an oversight....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592335 by Joslyn

effron wrote: I'd let it sit a couple days, the check writers will also be notified. See if they make it right without prodding. Hope it was merely an oversight....

Good idea.  I hope.  That will be an awkward discussion.  Speaking of which, if they don't reach out to me, how would you approach?

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592352 by effron
It depends I guess. Maybe they had second thoughts. Legally, they owe you the money. I know a few people I'd probably blow off a tip bounce, others I'd sue in small claims court in a nano second. After a few days I'd mention it though, for certain. Don't say "bounced", just say the check was returned, is everything alright?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592359 by Joslyn

effron wrote: It depends I guess. Maybe they had second thoughts. Legally, they owe you the money. I know a few people I'd probably blow off a tip bounce, others I'd sue in small claims court in a nano second. After a few days I'd mention it though, for certain. Don't say "bounced", just say the check was returned, is everything alright?

Gotcha, that does sound less offensive as well.  Good tip.  I think I'll wait till mid week and see what happens.  

Thanks again for your help!

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592382 by Glen Martin
I would wait till Wednesday and then hit them up.   Perhaps if you have something special you can send to them, something that will remind them of why you are so awesome.  Hopefully that will plug them on the bounced check and they will say something.  

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592406 by Frisco
I would do the same thing.  Over deliver on something, that will remind them, and hopefully they will do what is right, or might not be aware of what has happened.   If they still don't bring it up, I would say something on Friday.   

"My bank just sent me a notice that they weren't able to process your check, can you look into that please?"

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592478 by Roman Omell
+1 things happen.  They might not be aware of it, give them the chance to make right before considering other options. 

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592602 by icepics
It could just be an oversight and if they're made aware of it they can probably take care of it. If you allow a few days (I'd probably contact by midweek rather than try to catch somebody on a Friday) then touch base to let them know you appreciate the tip (and maybe that you're glad they liked the photos, etc.) and wanted to let them know it didn't clear (and see what they say).

I wouldn't count on getting a tip; if they take care of it and you get it, great. If not, it's not like they owe you payment.

I'd suggest too that to be in business, find professional resources on how to deal with various situations. Chances are this may not be the only time this will happen and next time it could be a payment... Get your policies figured out then adjust/adapt as needed, and look at resources for small business owners so you're better prepared.

Think about what to say before you make the call or send the email. Write it down, then come back to it later/the next day and proofread; if it's an email save as a draft. Make sure it sounds the way you want to come across before you send the email or call (eventually you may know what to say so you won't have to keep writing it down first). I'd try to be positive and approach it with a mindset of working it out. I'd usually give someone a chance to correct the situation first and be firm as necessary. If you have written policies on your website you can refer back to that when needed (remember on my website where it says...) and then they go, oh, okay... Because they were already informed about the policy and you're giving a reminder and a chance to rectify it. 

Sharon
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592607 by effron
" If not, it's not like they owe you payment.".....Legally, they owe her the money, it would stand in any small claims court.
I wouldn't press them on it myself, but they did write the check.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #592853 by Meskill
Any updates on this? 

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #593033 by effron
Bump for an update...Joslyn?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #593146 by Joslyn
Good news, money order for the check replacement and a note from client apologizing for the mix up came in the mail yesterday.  All good!

Thank you for input everyone!  

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #593187 by effron
"Most things I worry about never happen anyway"...Tom Petty

I say yay!! Glad for you....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #593238 by Roman Omell
Great news!  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024