Liability question when SD card corrupted with client photos on it?

5 years 9 months ago #592618 by Tony Bisson
Just wondering as I wait for clients photos to download from my SD card.  What happens if the card becomes corrupted prior to getting your clients photos from it?  Are you liable or is SanDisk (SD card manufacture)?  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #592619 by garyrhook
You are.

You need a clause in your contract that indemnifies you from data loss. And you need a camera that writes to two cards in parallel. And a lot of spare cards in your pocket.

Just sayin'.

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #592622 by Vespista
Spot on!
The 2 card thing saved me once. Gotta love that D810.

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #592631 by effron
Yup, and you should be shooting two card cameras now, and for work, back up setting.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #592633 by Nikon Shooter
I did have a very rare corrupted file but not a card!

Parallel write is the solution!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #592637 by KenMan
Knock on wood.  No issues here. 

However as already pointed out, you are responsible.  

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #592655 by Crazyguy
Be prepared, head out with spare cards, and BACKUP your work.  

An Irishman is not drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass to keep from falling off the world.
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #593003 by Rawley Photos

Nikon Shooter wrote: I did have a very rare corrupted file but not a card!

Parallel write is the solution!

:agree:    Been there myself, however at the time, the camera I was using didn't have 2 slots.  

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #593040 by Sawyer
 You mean to tell me if there is a manufacture defect, or something goes wrong with the memory card outside of your controll, you are still liable? 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #593042 by garyrhook

Sawyer wrote:  You mean to tell me if there is a manufacture defect, or something goes wrong with the memory card outside of your controll, you are still liable? 

Um, yes?

Did you read this thread? All of it?

Your contract with your client should contain a clause indemnifying you from events outside of your control. This would be an example of such an event. You do whatever you can to plan for, and avoid, problems, then you have a contract that kicks in for everything else.

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #593180 by Tony Bisson
Ok, well I'm glad I posted this question!  

Thanks for all the feedback and 411!

I need to make some changes.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024