Non-pro photographers, how have do prevent burnout?

1 year 4 months ago #593643 by Tsoto
Do you ever feel like your photography isn't taking the steps forward that you would like?  You are putting in the time, but not seeing noticeable steps forward?  Last couple weekends out for me, have been exhausting and just not as exciting as they once were with my camera.  

If we can be honest, I feel burntout.  I love photography and think I'm just being hard on myself.  Any sort of help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 4 months ago #593656 by fmw
You are burned out over a hobby?  So do do it less.

Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #593686 by effron
I burned out as a pro, shooting every weekend, all nighters in the lab and dealing with mothers of brides and doped up rock musicians... after a decade off, digital revived my interest and I'll get nowhere near a "paid" gig.
The above is correct, if you are bored with a hobby, find another....
Edit: "Any sort of help or advice would be greatly appreciated. "
Challenge yourself with something different.....

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago #593746 by Moe
 Have you thought about doing a 365 project or attending a meet up group? 

Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago #593755 by garyrhook
I'm not sure what pro or non-pro has to do with it.

As for motivation, projects can be fun. 30 day, 52 week, 365 day. Pick something. Pick a constraint, too, if you like ("never leave my property", "I can't cross the street").

Burnout comes when you're not doing something different and/or challenging yourself. Mix it up.

I can hardly wait to not have a day job.

Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago #593835 by Carry
Pause, learn something new and jump back into the game.  If you are board with what you did yesterday, try something new today.  

Photo Comments

1 year 4 months ago #593996 by ShutterPal
As Gary pointed out, pro, non pro, it doesn't make a difference.  There are some good suggestions in this thread.  The bottom line is that you need to get out there and explore, try something new, challenge yourself.  Go photograph something you normally wouldn't have.   

Photo Comments

1 year 2 months ago #604942 by srubio77
Try something new and experiment. It may not work out perfectly, but it'll likely stir up some new ideas

Photo Comments

1 year 2 months ago #604948 by Stanly
 Make it a point of trying something new each week 

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments

1 year 2 months ago #604967 by NewavaMike

Do you ever feel like your photography isn't taking the steps forward that you would like?  You are putting in the time, but not seeing noticeable steps forward? 

My day job is meter reader for the utility company. I walk the neighborhoods.  The warehouse districts,  the shopping centers, the railroad tracks, the well to do hoods, and the "trailer park boys" hoods.  It's a constant flood of visual moments.  I see all kinds of stuff.  I see huge gardens of weed.  I see cherried out cars in peoples garages.  I see dogs, cats, chickens and squirrels. I see barns and horses and cows and tractors. And I see people.  All kinds of people.  They are the most amazing things to see of all.  It's the creation. All around you. 

I suggest you take a walk around your city or town.  Start in one of the older sections.  Just park and get out and walk around for awhile and with no time constraints. Give yourself an hour. 
Oh yea.  DON'T TAKE YOUR CAMERA !!!!  Leave it at home..  

Every time you come across a scene that captivates you....and captures your attention.....   
and you don't have your camera...….

Well, anyways.  Walking is good for you too :) 

Photo Comments

1 year 2 months ago #605137 by Scotty
I've been burn out for like a year now.   I'm going to Hawaii next week with both cams so I should be shooting again finally?

Take a break honestly.  You can't force something to be fun.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

1 year 2 months ago #605153 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Tsoto

Burnout is emotional tiredness - and every one of us here & elsewhere has experienced it somewhere / sometime

For me - having bought my first Pentax way back in the mid 60s, I have had plenty of ups & downs photographically and within myself. External issues & stresses from work & home & life-in-general all contribute to my emotional 'bank-balance' and reflect into my photographic pleasures

Many of the suggestions above sound okay - so may I suggest you "relax a bit and give yourself a moment to yourself" - If you feel like taking some photos - do it, if not, leave the stuff at home and just enjoy the views

If it helps you at all, you can have a chuckle at my expense too ... there are many days in my photography where I return home from a day's outing, and after looking at my results on the computer screen I delete the whole damn lot as they were a struggle to take and looking at them later, they do not excite me enough to keep either :(

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike

1 year 2 months ago #606236 by Howard Swanson
Unplug for a couple weeks, come back and do a 365 photo project.  Force yourself to try something new, or themed photo shoot.  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Yes, there are many different cheap full frame cameras available in 2019. The question is, which budget full frame cameras are best for 2020? Find out in this comparison review.

Dec 06, 2019

In the Nikon Z6 vs Canon EOS R debate, which one is the best buy for you? Get all the details on both these cameras in this detailed comparison review.

Dec 04, 2019

Sure, the Nikon D610 is going on seven years old, but if you want a full frame camera, you'll be hard-pressed to find a cheaper one. Learn about the features and benefits of this camera in our Nikon D610 review.

Nov 27, 2019

The FujiFilm X-Pro 3 is a brand-new camera with distinct retro styling. Is it the right camera for you? Find out in this detailed FujiFilm X-Pro 3 review.

Nov 26, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using a teleprompter when creating videos allows you to give your audience a much-improved message. With one of these best teleprompters of 2019, you can do so without busting your budget!

Dec 09, 2019

If you're ready to take better travel photos and make money while you do it, have a look at this tutorial for some must-have travel photography tips.

Dec 09, 2019

Photo by Geo Days on Unsplash If you're scared of going to the dentist, you should probably stop reading now. A dentist in...

Dec 08, 2019

Photo by Victória Kubiaki on Unsplash It's not every day that someone goes out of their way to make strangers smile, but that's...

Dec 08, 2019

Photo by Olenka Kotyk on Unsplash  Brides will always expect photographers to work for free because photography is an...

Dec 07, 2019

The best camera bags of 2019 include duffel bags and slings, backpacks and leather bags. Their common trait? These are some of the most well-designed, rugged, and functional bags available today.

Dec 06, 2019

I'm making the move to Canon mirrorless cameras, specifically the EOS R. Here's a few thoughts on the transition so far, including some pleasant surprises!

Dec 06, 2019

Yes, there are many different cheap full frame cameras available in 2019. The question is, which budget full frame cameras are best for 2020? Find out in this comparison review.

Dec 06, 2019